SBNATION: Commissioner Wants International Draft

weams

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/3/18/8241007/say-hey-baseball-mlb-commissioner-wants-international-draft

We'll still end up with a committee exploring the idea of an international draft, but it's still a little different to hear Manfred come out in favor of one so openly before said committee is even formed. In fact, he considers it a necessity, as Baseball's current international plan failed the stress test that the influx of young Cuban players provided. While Manfred believes the system introduced in the last collective bargaining agreement was working just fine before Yoan Moncada showed up and the Red Sox handed him $31.5 million, let's remember that the Yankees spent $12 million on the first day of the current international signing period. Their allotted budget, for a period stretching from July 2 through June 15? $2.191 million. They weren't alone in going over budget, either.

Interesting timing with U.S.-Cuba rapprochement coming. I have never understood why there would be a difference in the two pools. Couldn't there be just one draft?

There could be one draft. But some of the Koreans, Cubans, etc. have been playing at a pro level, albeit not MLB, and some are older, e.g. Jose Abreu, 26 y.o. when he signed. Those factors add a complexity that may continue to compel MLB to keep the talent pools in separate drafts.

There could be one draft. But some of the Koreans, Cubans, etc. have been playing at a pro level, albeit not MLB, and some are older, e.g. Jose Abreu, 26 y.o. when he signed. Those factors add a complexity that may continue to compel MLB to keep the talent pools in separate drafts.

I think we are talking amateur drafts. MLB has working arrangements with other professional leagues.

Are you considering Cuban players amateurs or professionals?

MLB has no relations with anyone from Cuba. Nor would they be draftable under current legalities. So essentially, Cubans do not exist. When they become Mexican or Dominicans, then they would be draft eligible under the terms that would be collectively bargained.

Good point.

But things might change some day.

Absolutely.

"Oh yeah, but I had to run," he said, smiling. "Boom, run, run. Remember what happened with Dariel (Alvarez) the other day? Flipped the bat.

"I went to the dugout and Showalter said, 'OK Henry, good job.' Don't flip any bats or nothing like that."

Good point.

But things might change some day.

"He's a happy guy. He's in a good place. When you think with him and Dariel (Alvarez), what's going on with Cuba in the last six months, it's a big deal. They're getting internet and things over there that they're able to communicate now where they weren't. You can tell both of those guys are in a pretty good place emotionally."

I met Henry his second day in the United States. He is a wonderful guy, I wish him great success.

Archived