2015 Boston Red Sox

OFFNY

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'd think, but Panda, Bogaerts, Pedroia and Napoli all have minus defense so far this season. Maybe it's the bad pitching. :P

Except for Bogaerts they all have good track records. Maybe the Panda has just gotten too fat to get by anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Porcello got his ass handed to him today. That after a few good starts.

Hanley Ramirez leaves today's game after being hit on hand (x-rays apparently negative). Leg issue forced him out of game on Tuesday. Has also been having shoulder issues.

Record: 19-23

Pythag: 17-25

Team OPS+: 90

Team ERA+: 88

Most improved team this off season my butt.

It is kind of interesting that the teams that did the most tinkering, Oakland, Boston, and SD are struggling to stay relevant. Perhaps there is more than one way to build a winner.

Sandoval, a switch hitter, is 2 for 41 (.049) batting righthanded this season. He is hitting .172 righthanded going back to the start of the 2014 season.

As a pinch hitter, Sandoval batted lefthanded against lefthanded Angels reliever Cesar Ramos on Sunday and singled. He said later that it was a concession to the bone bruise on his left knee and not a sign he planned to give up switch hitting.

“I thought it was really encouraging yesterday — or interesting, not encouraging, but interesting — to see him go left-on-left,” Farrell said. “Whether that’s a sign of things to come, we’ll see. [Having him] in the lineup makes us a better offensive team.”

Farrell said there have been discussions “off and on” with Sandoval about the idea of giving up switch hitting.

“He’s the one who has got to feel the most comfortable in doing it,” Farrell said. “There’s been conversation at various points about that. He’s even initiated at times.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/25/clay-buchholz-coming-grips-with-pitchers-suspensions/ymqsgrwhDtlPp02r1IJtcO/story.html

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Is there a way to look up the number of "bequeathed runners scored" for a guy? Can't seem to find it on bbref. But I suspect Dean has an above-average amount of inherited runners scored after a reliever comes in. 
    • I expected Mayo to have more strike out errors than he has overall. 34K in 128 PA isn’t terrible considering the early pace he was on. Neither are his 5 errors. Kudos to the young man for adjusting. 
    • I'm not a betting man, and Google says the team with the - is the favorite. Learn something new every day.
    • Outside of the original "Big 3" - Gunnar, Adley, and Grayson - Elias has consistently done a poor job integrating prospects to the major league roster, to the team's detriment. I honestly believe the team would have been more competitive against the Rangers in the playoffs last season if Westburg, Cowser, Ortiz, and Kjerstad has been prioritized and given much more playing time than they ultimately got. Jackson Holliday's promotion was bungled. He was called up too early (should have waited to gain the extra year of service time and Super 2 to pass) and demoted too soon (once the mistake was made of calling him up too soon, Elias should have commited to Holliday so that Jackson can help the major league team later in the season).  All the other prospects were called up too late and then not given anywhere near the playing time they deserved, and almost all were inappropriately platooned with inferior veterans. Westburg, Stowers, Ortiz, Westburg, and Kjerstad were all called up either too late or given way too little playing time, or a combination of both. Norby should have made the major league roster on Opening Day, would have been a better callup to help the major league team than Holliday, and could still be helping the team right now instead of rolling with Mateo and Urias in the infield, or McKenna in the outfield. Elias is a hypocrite when it comes to valuing defense with his own prospects, because he clearly did not value defense whatsoever signing Adam Frazier and letting him play the entire 2023 season against RHP and doing the same with Rougned Odor in 2022. And he doesn't value defense whenever Ryan O'Hearn is allowed to play RF, or by keeping Jorge Mateo on the roster after Mateo's defense cratered last season.  Elias is putting this team in a worse position to win in the playoffs by consistently screwing over every prospect that's been called up after Grayson.  I don't even blame Hyde, because he's a bad manager who can't write out a lineup and clearly favors less talented veterans to superior prospects. It's on Elias to either tell Hyde to prioritize playing the prospects, or take the decision out of Hyde's hands by releasing or trading the veterans that Hyde favors so much.
    • Maybe this comment has already been made, but all those prospect guys are getting older. If a typical player starts to decline around 30 or 31, we are damaging our own prospect value by not doing anything with them. Nothing. It is maddening that we had Aaron Hicks or Brett Phillips or Tony Kemp instead of giving our guys a chance to develop on the most important stage.  Even if he’s terrible, starting the season with Holliday, instead of bringing him up two weeks later, just means that we would’ve sent him down two weeks sooner. We wouldn’t have lost anything. I understand why Heston isn’t playing. Nobody can. It was even mentioned in today’s chat at MLB trade rumors, and the moderator couldn’t understand either. Mike and the gang are not stupid. They have reasons for what they’re doing just because a person has a reason doesn’t mean it’s a good reason.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now