2015 Boston Red Sox

OFFNY

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Koji and wish him a speedy return.

I know several OHers were on the bring Koji back to B-more wagon.

Personally, with his age and the abundance of arms in the pen, and his injuries, I dont think he would be a good fit for the team now.

Agreed. Uehara has the kind of pitching repertoire to last into his 40s, but it's a very risky proposition.

Let's assume for argument's sake that he ends up not being the closer this year in Boston. What are their other options?

Matt Barnes (25) - rookie season, may not start the year on the team, and may be intended to start anyway.

Craig Breslow (34) - fell off a cliff last year. Will he even make the team at his age? $100k buyout.

Edwin Escobar (23) - similar situation to Barnes. Could be a starter, could be a reliever, and could start in the minors.

Heath Hembree (26) - no.

Tommy Layne (30) - terrific stats so far both in San Diego and Boston, but he's likely not going to close due to lack of MLB experience (SSS).

Edward Mujica (31) - was average (100 ERA+) for the Sawx last year and very hittable (10.2 H/9). He may have peaked already.

Alexi Ogando (31) - good candidate for a bounce back season, but he was really really bad last year. Not the kind of guy to thrust into a closing situation.

Robbie Ross (26) - like Ogando, a castoff from Texas who stunk last year. I have no clue how he'll do.

Zeke Spruill (25) - if he's got options left he's getting sent down.

Junichi Tazawa (29) - probably their best bet, a good-not-great reliever with one career save.

Anthony Varvaro (30) - see Tazawa. Good reliever with one career save. Moving to the AL.

Brandon Workman (26) - AAAA fodder.

Steven Wright (30) - more AAAA fodder, I think.

So, it looks like they can piece together a good bullpen with Uehara, but without him the lack of depth will become an issue. Tazawa and Varvaro are the only ones without question marks. By the end of the year however, IF Barnes and Escobar are used in the pen, it could be darn good.

I’m a cheater because my name was on a list of players who got flagged for PEDs in 2003. Let me tell you something about that test. Most guys were taking over-the-counter supplements then. Most guys are still taking over-the-counter supplements. If it’s legal, ballplayers take it. Why? Because if you make it to the World Series, you play 180 games. Really think about that for a second. 180 games. Your kids could be sick, your wife could be yelling at you, your dad could be dying — nobody cares. Nobody cares if you have a bone bruise in your wrist or if you have a pulled groin. You’re an entertainer. The people want to see you hit a 95-mile-an-hour fastball over a damn 37-foot wall.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/david-ortiz-on-the-record/

David Ortiz

Red Sox catcher may need TJ surgery

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Christian Vazquez is off to see Dr. James Andrews. Those visits seldom end well. <a href="http://t.co/LhXtZ4ScxW">http://t.co/LhXtZ4ScxW</a></p>— Sean McAdam (@Sean_McAdam) <a href="

">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz named opening day starter

by R.J. White | CBSSports.com

Sun, 29 Mar 2015 9:59 AM ET

Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz has been named the starter for Opening Day, the Providence Journal reports.

Buchholz gets the call after going 8-11 with a 5.34 ERA and 132:54 K:BB ratio in 170 1/3 innings in 2014. He's the only member of the projected rotation to have spent a full season with the Red Sox, as the team's other four projected starters have made a total of 10 starts in a Red Sox uniform.

Edward Mujica to start season as Red Sox closer

by Shawn Krest | CBSSports.com

Sun, 29 Mar 2015 1:43 PM ET

Red Sox pitcher Edward Mujica will start the season in the closer role, manager John Farrell confirmed on Sunday.

With Koji Uehara unlikely to be ready to start the year, Farrell said Mujica would get first shot at closing.

"There's been times where he's thrown a ball down and away to right-handers with good stuff," Farrell said, per WEEI. "Right now, he would be the guy that we turn to in closing situations. I will also say that we would look to matchup in the ninth inning as well. We'll look to exploit the best matchup, and that could be any one of three or four guys down there to finish a game."

So there's our answer. Color me underwhelmed.

Red Sox catcher may need TJ surgery

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Christian Vazquez is off to see Dr. James Andrews. Those visits seldom end well. <a href="http://t.co/LhXtZ4ScxW">http://t.co/LhXtZ4ScxW</a></p>— Sean McAdam (@Sean_McAdam) <a href="

">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12601525/christian-vazquez-boston-red-sox-tommy-john-surgery

Archived