(It's never too soon:) Any problems with Buck's bullpen usage yesterday?

Frobby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few thoughts.

- Hunter is always bad early in the season. It was the same last year and then he started blowing people away after a month or so. His velocity is good, he'll be fine.

- I think it's clear that O'Day might be seeing the 7th inning a bit more this year and I think that Buck wants to use Brach in the 8th more, if he pitches well. His stuff plays as a setup guy, and O'Day seems like he's lost a little snap to his pitches recently.

- The two hits Brach allowed: a double that JUST snuck through the inside of 1B and a single that JUST snuck by Flaherty at SS. He suffered from that BABIP-itus last night, and his stuff looked good. Not too worried. I would have left him out there; didn't really see the point of bringing in Hunter, but no biggie.

One good thing about Hunter is that whether is pitching good, average, or bad, he almost always throws a lot of strikes, and rarely gives out free passes.

Yesterday, he faced 3 batters ...... and threw only 7 pitches (5 of which were strikes.)

And of those 3 batters that he faced, one of them struck out. Talk about not wasting pitches. :eektf: :laughlol:

Who can be sent down besides Gausman? (I'm aware Gonzalez can, but I'm not going to count him). I'm sure Gausman was being saved for extra innings.

No problems with yesterday's usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that Gaus is being used for long relief, when the starter gets knocked out early. Gaus was a terrrific long reliever during last year's ALDS when Chen got knocked out in the 3rd inning. Gaus came roaring in and put out the fire that Chen had set. That allowed the Os to catchup and win.

Speaking of carrying 6 starters: I saw that the Giants already have 2 starting pitchers (Peavy and Matt Cain) who are skipping their starts because of various injuries. So Ryan Vogelsong, the Giants' 6th starter and long reliever, is starting tonight. So DD really did know what he was doing when he decided to keep 6 starters, even if one of them has to start out in the bullpen.

Think less "mop up" and more "save the game". How many times have you seen a long reliever come in and put out the fire for 4 innings and the O's come back and win that game? I know I've seen it a ton.

So I think that's the first role KG will have. And it keeps him stretched out.

And then if O'Day and Hunter and Brach can't get it done, we'll see him in the 8th inning.

I don't recall it happening that often.

Not in the current run scoring environment at least.

Buck was trying to get guys into the game so they can get some work in. Nobody pitched Saturday and Sunday. They are off this Thursday. I would not read anything into it, things will settle in after a couple of weeks. Last year on Opening Day he used Meek in the 8th inning with a 1 run lead. Bullpen usage is not normal at the start of the year.

I don't recall it happening that often.

Not in the current run scoring environment at least.

It happened more than once during the 2014 playoffs. Starter got knocked out early, so Gaus, the long reliever, came in to save the day.

Some times, some people underestimate the long reliever. This is because it's associated with mopping up. It's sometimes the role for a demoted starter. However long relievers can be very valuable and play crucial roles in holding off an opposing team until his own team can catch up and win.

It happened more than once during the 2014 playoffs. Starter got knocked out early, so Gaus, the long reliever, came in to save the day.

Some times, some people underestimate the long reliever. This is because it's associated with mopping up. It's sometimes the role for a demoted starter. However long relievers can be very valuable and play crucial roles in holding off an opposing team until his own team can catch up and win.

Playoffs are different. Managers have a much quicker hook and all the extra days off creates all sorts of bullpen flexibility.

You don't take who might be your best guy and save him for when the team is down three runs in the fourth.

Some interesting choices by Buck yesterday:

- Used O'Day for only five pitches and replaced him with another RHP the next inning.

- Used Britton to close out a game in a non-save situation.

Any problems with this? I assume if we have to use Britton today, he'll be unavailable tomorrow.

Yes! Fire Buck immediately! He's has no clue how to handle a pitching staff.

Playoffs are different. Managers have a much quicker hook and all the extra days off creates all sorts of bullpen flexibility.

You don't take who might be your best guy and save him for when the team is down three runs in the fourth.

No one is arguing that Gausman's best role is as a long reliever.

(But) the point that a long reliever can have a significant impact on the final season record is valid. I claim (unsubstantiated with any data) that this is more true with a ballclub that scores a lot of runs (hence, can come back and win the ballgames that the long reliever is brought into).

It happened tonight. Chen didn't get out of the 5th inning and Buck had to bring in his long reliever, Kevin Gausman. Other than one costly mistake, Gausman did his job well.Who would you have used rather than Gausman?

- Used Britton to close out a game in a non-save situation.

Haven't read the whole thread, excuse me...

Manfra or Angel on the radio yesterday (Monday) said "He's warmed. Might as well pitch him now." No dry humping.

Archived