(It's never too soon:) Any problems with Buck's bullpen usage yesterday?

Frobby

Some interesting choices by Buck yesterday:

- Used O'Day for only five pitches and replaced him with another RHP the next inning.

- Used Britton to close out a game in a non-save situation.

Any problems with this? I assume if we have to use Britton today, he'll be unavailable tomorrow.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Zach started warming in the eighth when it was 5-2 and a save situation. I have no problem with him using him. I'd blame the offense for scoring the extra run. ;)

This. Nothing to see here. Might as well make this post a sticky, though. I am sure this will come up every other night.

If a pitcher gets sent down for Davis then I would have preferred Buck used that pitcher in yesterday's game.

I'm under the impression that Clevenger will be sent down.

The only move I thought was odd was replacing O'Day with Brach. I do remember from previous seasons that Buck likes to get everyone in a game pretty early to get them going. I don't think he would have made this move even as soon as May 1.

If a pitcher gets sent down for Davis then I would have preferred Buck used that pitcher in yesterday's game.

Who can be sent down besides Gausman? (I'm aware Gonzalez can, but I'm not going to count him). I'm sure Gausman was being saved for extra innings.

No problems with yesterday's usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose you could have argued to let Tillman try and finish off the 7th, given he was just under 100 pitches and there was nobody on base. Than again being the first game of the season there's no need to overdo it right out of the gate. If he hadn't pulled him and he finishes it you could use O'Day in the 8th and someone else for the 9th. I guess my question was why didn't he go to Hunter from the get go before Brach.

I think Buck might've brought O'Day back for the 8th if not for the long delay in the top of the 8th, with the replay review on Pearce's scoring play.

As for Britton, as ChrisP mentioned, Buck already had him warming up in the 9th when it was a 5-2 game, so I guess he figured he should go ahead and put him in the game. Buck doesn't like "dry humping" his relievers (his expression, not mine).

I think Zach started warming in the eighth when it was 5-2 and a save situation. I have no problem with him using him. I'd blame the offense for scoring the extra run. ;)
Yep, it was a save situation, so Zach had to warm up. But then along came Ryan Flaherty to ruin this, with a blast into the seats. No more save situation, but Zach was warmed up and raring to go. So he came in and closed everything down. ;)

Guest rochester
Yep, it was a save situation, so Zach had to warm up. But then along came Ryan Flaherty to ruin this, with a blast into the seats. No more save situation, but Zach was warmed up and raring to go. So he came in and closed everything down. ;)

Agree. I can't imagine a scenario when Buck would assume that Flaherty would get a hit the first week let alone a HR. :)

Archived