Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

The Orioles never even negotiated for Miller. They asked what he was after. Then they wished him good luck.

Do people really think in a perfect world we wanted Miller to leave? I think the vast majority thought he was a rental from the get go.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He DID say that. But if we continue to trot out a staff that can't go 6 innings an Andrew Miller type is a necessity. Not a luxury. So much so that we are trying to fit our top prospect in that role. Next year we have a ton of FA's. If we end up a reliever short this year, I don't think DD and Buck are going to be so ready to let O'day walk. Sometimes you have to pay premium money for premium talent. Miller is/was/is going to be worth every penny.

Gausman is in the pen temporarily.

How are you filling all the spots where we have FA's next year. I don't see a lot of internal options with the position players in the system. I think the money they spend will be on position players.

It's reasonable to say that Andrew Miller would win some games we lose this year. Maybe two or three of them. You can pick and choose which ones to count as the Miller wins for this season., When you have named two or three games, you must stop. Because that is all he is worth. Two or three games.

I get the WAR argument and agree, but conversely having him to use in these tight situations would set the rest of bullpen up to be in better situations in which they could succeed at (i.e. Matusz). So there would be Miller's isolated value and then a residual value of allowing the rest of the bullpen to be used in situations in which they would more like succeed. Just my opinion (and am extremely doped up on pain meds so...).

No way in the world the Orioles pay O'Day that much. We might see a lot of young arms in the pen next year. DD flat out said a market like this can't afford to sign players like Miller.

He also said he has an much money as he feels he needs to win. So there's that...

How are you coming up with $37M?

Can we leave out some of the hyperbole about Miller. There is no guarantee that he helps two games and puts this in extra innings.

Hi stats last year and this year tells us he is getting us through the 8th or 9th inning last night, and would have had an impact on two other games. I love all the Angelos apologists that will never criticize any move he makes. The major point is we let possibly the best reliever in all of baseball and the organization leave and did absolutely nothing to fill his void. I love all of the posters that said Hunter would be able to fill his role. That is really working out well so far. Look I hope Hunter turns it around around. I just question if the organization did everything they could to make sure the team is BETTER THAN last year.

Hi stats last year and this year tells us he is getting us through the 8th or 9th inning last night, and would have had an impact on two other games. I love all the Angelos apologists that will never criticize any move he makes. The major point is we let possibly the best reliever in all of baseball and the organization leave and did absolutely nothing to fill his void. I love all of the posters that said Hunter would be able to fill his role. That is really working out well so far. Look I hope Hunter turns it around around. I just question if the organization did everything they could to make sure the team is BETTER THAN last year.

Besides, if we lose today, this will be the last time you can mention Miller.

Besides, if we lose today, this will be the last time you can mention Miller.

I hope we win every game! I just want Angelos to put all of his resources into making the Orioles a top organization for a number of years. Thinsgs like being second to last in international spending coupled with not signing three free agents (Miller is the one I went signed) I will continue to make posts criitcal of the organization We have a great GM and manager. I want ownership to put the resources into making us a World series champion.

I hope we win every game! I just want Angelos to put all of his resources into making the Orioles a top organization for a number of years. Thinsgs like being second to last in international spending coupled with not signing three free agents (Miller is the one I went signed) I will continue to make posts criitcal of the organization We have a great GM and manager. I want ownership to put the resources into making us a World series champion.

Which MLB owner does that?

I agree with every word here. I apologize for no one.

I will tell you though, you are about ten years late for your theme. We certain welcome critical posts. And critical thinking.

No one here wanted Miller more than me last season. No one had higher expectations of him for last season. No one justified the cost of Miller more than me. And I was a huge Rodriguez fan. But I was never of the delusion that the Orioles would actually retain him. And that saddened me. He was a hired gunslinger. Not someone to wine and dine.

You need to stop with this whole Angelos apologists crap. I would love to have Miller, even with his current contract over some of the others. Don't think it is the best move for the franchise.

But it is people like you that talk in absolutes that Miller would have won these two games. You can suggest he would have helped but to make an absolute is bull.

People are here to discuss baseball and perceived values. No one here is apologizing for Angelos.

Archived