The Offense

Frobby

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aoki's career is over. Snider's is just starting.

That's a bit extreme. Aoki is off to a very nice start for the Giants this year -- .348 BA, .434 OBP. I agree that he doesn't have many good years left, and I wouldn't take him over Snider. But on a one-year deal, he might've been a good fit as a leadoff man.

It's also about avoiding droughts and not being one dimentional. Not everything is black and white.

:rolleyestf:

How is a team that scores 6 runs a game and leads the league in Home Runs one dimensional? Because they don't squeak out a run on a bunt base hit on Occasion. Wrong brand of baseball for my taste.

Droughts happen to everyone. Even the team that won 116 games.

That's a bit extreme. Aoki is off to a very nice start for the Giants this year -- .348 BA, .434 OBP. I agree that he doesn't have many good years left, and I wouldn't take him over Snider. But on a one-year deal, he might've been a good fit as a leadoff man.

He's been wonderful for a week. He is playing at the very end of his career.

Sure. He might have been. I admit, he has started off well and I did overreach with my criticism. He's done now though. So why talk about him. He's never going to be an Oriole. Agreed?

I guess San Francisco is pretty incompetent. When's the last time they've won anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually they are a good franchise. Gonna be a tough year for them with the pitching injuries though.

I agree that Snider has more power but I think that Aoki brings more versatility to the lineup. He has better speed, is better defensively, hits for a higher average, gets on base more and has almost as many doubles in his 3 year career as Snider has in his 7 year career. Snider looks stiff in the outfield. That said I think Snider is a good value for the Orioles.
Since we are basing our evaluations on 8 G, Snider has 6 BB and 7 SO the same as Aoki, but he has an OPS 100+ points higher.

Sure. He might have been. I admit, he has started off well and I did overreach with my criticism. He's done now though. So why talk about him. He's never going to be an Oriole. Agreed?

He's not going to play for the Orioles, agreed. Why talk about him? Herman was pressed my many in this thread, including me, to provide an alternative for a lead off hitter. He came up with a list including Aoki. That's why his name is coming up.

I guess San Francisco is pretty incompetent. When's the last time they've won anything?

I do agree. If he sustains that and the Orioles flounder, it is a point to continue to beat the horse of Orioles Front Office criticism with though. I do prefer Snider. And that would have been the choice. Two years of Snider for 6 million or one year of Aoki for about that. But then I was always on the Snider bus.

B/c I have been asked by several people in this thread who could have been signed in the offseason to be a leadoff man instead of De Aza. Aoki was one of the names I listed

He's not going to play for the Orioles, agreed. Why talk about him? Herman was pressed my many in this thread, including me, to provide an alternative for a lead off hitter. He came up with a list including Aoki. That's why his name is coming up.

Ok. Makes sense. i was never pressing him to make a choice. But sure, if you go into an offseason looking specifically for a number two hitter with no power to press into duty as a leadoff hitter, Aoki would have been a choice. I do admit that. He also will continue his steep decline. And will not improve at age 38.

B/c I have been asked by several people in this thread who could could have been brought in to be a leadoff man instead of De Aza.

Backwardsk was very kind to make your case for you. He is a good guy to have your court.

Archived