The Offense

Frobby

Ok. Makes sense. i was never pressing him to make a choice. But sure, if you go into an offseason looking specifically for a number two hitter with no power to press into duty as a leadoff hitter, Aoki would have been a choice. I do admit that. He also will continue his steep decline. And will not improve at age 38.

He was born in 1982

Backwardsk was very kind to make your case for you. He is a good guy to have your court.

and I appreciated it

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
B/c I have been asked by several people in this thread who could have been signed in the offseason to be a leadoff man instead of De Aza. Aoki was one of the names I listed

My Meme is simply that a team does not need a leadoff hitter.

Again, in his career he has 168 walks and and 466 strikeouts. Does that seem like a healthy ratio to you? I know you like disagreeing with me for being a little critical but come on.

Like I said, he's a nice player and I'm glad that the Orioles traded for him. I just don't think that he is the ideal leadoff hitter for this team.

He has a 61 point separation between his BA and his OBP. That's about average. He has 468 Ks in 2200 plus plate. Again, about average. Why are you so wound up about K's?

That said, I don't think De Aza should be leading off, or even playing, against LHP's. We have a lot other solutions there. Is he an "ideal" leadoff hitter? No. Not too many things in life are ideal, but I think he can help get the job done. You think Aoki would have been better, then fine. I'm not that crazy about him, his contract and his defense. But I'm also not going to crticize that opinion. I don't think there would be much difference.

I don't like disagreeing with you, but it's pretty easy based your weak arguments. Be a critic all you want, but don't pretend I'm the only one calling you out on this stuff or give us more whining about being "yelled" at.

He has a 61 point separation between his BA and his OBP. That's about average. He has 468 Ks in 2200 plus plate. Again, about average. Why are you so wound up about K's?

That said, I don't think De Aza should be leading off, or even playing, against LHP's. We have a lof other solutions there. Is he an "ideal" leadoff hitter? No. Not too many things in life are ideal, but I think he can help get the job done.

I don't like disagreeing with you, but it's pretty easy based your weak arguments. Be a critic all you want, but don't pretend I'm the only one calling you out on this stuff or give us more whining about being "yelled" at.

I'm so wound up about K's b/c the Orioles as a team collectively do not have patient hitters. And no, I'm not making weak arguments. I'm just not conforming to the collective mindset on this message board and I think a lot of you don't like it when the front office or team is criticized b/c they are finally relevant after 14 seasons of losing. I'm not saying that as an insult.

At no point did I compare the two based on 8 games.

You're right it was 9G. "lol I was waiting for you to mention De Aza! In 9 games he has struck out 13 times and walked only once. Does that sound like an ideal leadoff hitter to you?"

I'm so wound up about K's b/c the Orioles as a team collectively do not have patient hitters. And no, I'm not making weak arguments. I'm just not conforming to the collective mindset on this message board and I think a lot of you don't like it when the front office or team is criticized b/c they are finally relevant after 14 seasons of losing. I'm not saying that as an insult.

De Aza's career K rate is not an issue. His small sample size K rate this year is almost certainly not an issue. It's ridiculous to focus on his K rate at this point. Criticize his production or assumed production, which will likely be as a platoon leadoff hitter against RHP.

Stop with this nonsense about YOU being the voice of reason criticizing the "collective mindset". I and others have responded directly to your points and they are most certainly WEAK.

De Aza's career K rate is not an issue. His small sample size K rate this year is almost certainly not an issue. It's ridiculous to focus on his K rate at this point. Criticize his production or assumed production, which will likely be as a platoon leadoff hitter against RHP.

Stop with this nonsense about YOU being the voice of reason criticizing the "collective mindset". I and others have responded directly to your points and they are most certainly WEAK.

Herman is not the voice of reason. He just does not understand the data flow. It has nothing to do with criticism. If anything, Herman is the one responding in a groupthink manner. Regurgitating the lazy talk show lingo with very shallow analysis. I think if Herman thinks for himself, he may have good mind underneath.

You're right it was 9G. "lol I was waiting for you to mention De Aza! In 9 games he has struck out 13 times and walked only once. Does that sound like an ideal leadoff hitter to you?"

You conveniently left out the part where I said that De Aza's career strike out to walk ratio is 2.81/1. You also conveniently forgot to mention how I pointed out how Aoki has a higher career batting avg and OBP.

I think that his strikeout rate, on THIS team, and batting at the top of the order is an issue. This is simply a difference of opinions so to dismiss my perspective as nonsense is childish.

I never referred to myself as the voice of reason. Stop giving me a sarcastic title in an attempt to strengthen your rebuttal.

Herman is not the voice of reason. He just does not understand the data flow. It has nothing to do with criticism. If anything, Herman is the one responding in a groupthink manner. Regurgitating the lazy talk show lingo with very shallow analysis. I think if Herman thinks for himself, he may have good mind underneath.

hahaha that was pretty good. I can appreciate a witty insult and roll with the punches

I think that his strikeout rate, on THIS team, and batting at the top of the order is an issue. This is simply a difference of opinions so to dismiss my perspective as nonsense is childish.

Lets assume

1. His K and BB rate stabalizes to something along his career rate.

2. He is predominately platooned in the leadoff role against RHP.

What will the significance of his K rate be to THIS team?

Nnever referred to myself as the voice of reason. Stop giving me a sarcastic title in an attempt to strengthen your rebuttal.

Then stop responding to the "collective mindset" and playing the victim because you were heroic enough to criticize the team.

For the record, I barely listen to 105.7 The Fan since my morning/afternoon commute is only about 10 minutes

Lets assume

1. His K and BB rate stabalizes to something along his career rate.

2. He is predominately platooned in the leadoff role against RHP.

What will the significance of his K rate be to THIS team?

Then stop responding to the "collective mindset" and playing the victim because you dared to criticize the team.

smh

Archived