The Offense

Frobby

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Since we beat Chris Archer on Opening Day, these are his lines for his outings since:

vs. MARLINS, 4/11:

7.00 IP O 1 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 1 BB O 5 SO O1O 84 Pitches (57 Strikes, 27 Balls)

vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/16:

7.00 IP O 2 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 2 BB O 11 SO .)) 109 Pitches (68 Strikes, 41 Balls)

vs. RED SOX, 4/21:

5.67 IP O 7 H O 1 R O 0 ER O 1 BB OO 9 SO O1 106 Pitches (72 Strikes, 34 Balls)

vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/26:

7.00 IP O 2 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 1 BB OO 7 SO O1O 93 Pitches (64 Strikes, 29 Balls)

Not a single earned run.

5 walks.

32 strikeouts.

I'm glad that we played against this guy on what has been by far, his worse day of the season. O:grouphug:

o

o

Since we beat Chris Archer on Opening Day, these are his lines for his outings since:

vs. MARLINS, 4/11:

7.00 IP O 1 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 1 BB O 5 SO O1O 84 Pitches (57 Strikes, 27 Balls)

vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/16:

7.00 IP O 2 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 2 BB O 11 SO .)) 109 Pitches (68 Strikes, 41 Balls)

vs. RED SOX, 4/21:

5.67 IP O 7 H O 1 R O 0 ER O 1 BB OO 9 SO O1 106 Pitches (72 Strikes, 34 Balls)

vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/26:

7.00 IP O 2 H O 0 R O 0 ER O 1 BB OO 7 SO O1O 93 Pitches (64 Strikes, 29 Balls)

Not a single earned run.

5 walks.

32 strikeouts.

I'm glad that we played against this guy on what has been by far, his worse day of the season. O:grouphug:

o

I like to think he had the misfortune of having to face the orioles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think it is worth noting that our offense has scored fewer than four runs only four times in nineteen games. So, while that 18-run game obviously inflates things, the fact is the offense has been doing its job pretty consistently.

I do think it is worth noting that our offense has scored fewer than four runs only four times in nineteen games. So, while that 18-run game obviously inflates things, the fact is the offense has been doing its job pretty consistently.

I think you're right, Frank.

In fact, as I stated in Aglet's "Orioles Compared to Other A.L.East Teams" thread, I believe that it is pretty clear that the Orioles' mediocre 9-10 start to this season is mostly due to the pitching and defense having been sub-par.

And as I've stated numerous times before, I believe that pitching and defense has been between 60 and 70 percent of the reason(s) for successful baseball (teams) for over 100 years now, and probably always will be.

Snapshot of the Orioles offense after the 18 run outburst:

104 runs scored (1)

27 home runs (1)

55 walks (10)

152 strike outs (12)

.284 average (3) - behind KC and DET

.345 on base (3) - behind KC and DET

.475 slugging (1)

.821 OPS (1)

128 OPS+ (1)

Players by OPS

1.302 Jimmy Paredes

1.158 Adam Jones

1.000 Ryan Flaherty

.964 David Lough

.940 Jonathan Schoop

.903 Caleb Joseph

.860 Chris Davis

.833 Rey Navarro

.821 Delmon Young

.774 Travis Snider

.707 Manny Machado

.670 Alejandro De Aza

.602 Steve Pearce

.484 Everth Cabrera

.433 Ryan Lavarnway

And as I've stated numerous times before, I believe that pitching and defense has been between 60 and 70 percent of the reason(s) for successful baseball (teams) for over 100 years now, and probably always will be.

My view of it is, since you have to outscore the opponent to win, the offense is 50% responsible, and the pitching and defense jointly are 50% responsible.

My view of it is, since you have to outscore the opponent to win, the offense is 50% responsible, and the pitching and defense jointly are 50% responsible.

Exactly. I've always been extremely skeptical of these statements that baseball is 60 or 70 or 90% pitching. I don't see any logical way that the breakdown can deviate all that much from 50% offense, 35% pitching, 15% defense. Although in earlier eras the pitching/defense split might have been fairly different, with defense being more important. And you can go way down an esoteric rabbit hole discussing offense/defense because they're interrelated because they're performed by the same people (I've read pieces just at the limit of my understanding by Tom Tango explaining why the three don't have to add up to 100%).

This particular researcher leans toward your point of view ....... not completely, but almost.

Pitching, Defense Just Slightly More Important to Team Wins Than Offense

(By A. Brian Ault)

http://research.sabr.org/journals/pitching-defesnse

Archived