PressBoxOnline: Jonathan Schoop Suffers Knee Injury: Out Indefinitely

weams

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/04/18/orioles-jonathan-schoop-suffers-knee-injury-out-indefinitely

Paul Folk

Schoop was diagnosed with a Grade 1 PCL tear and a sprained MCL in his right knee, an injury that could sideline him for several months. The O's believe Schoop suffered the injury when he tripped over Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli while trying to beat out an infield grounder during the top of the third inning. Though Schoop was shaken up on the play, he did not appear to be seriously hurt at the time, and he stayed in for the remainder of the game. But the injury turned out to be more severe than initially believed.

The Orioles placed Schoop on the 15-day disabled list April 18. Schoop will not undergo surgery and will eventually rehab in Sarasota, Fla. However, the Orioles did not provide a specific timetable for his return. Manager Buck Showalter told reporters that he expects Schoop to return sometime this season.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sun had an article on Schoop over the weekend. He is shooting to be back before the all star break.

Earlier this week, Schoop had fluid drained from the knee. He is still wearing a bulky knee brace on the knee and is receiving STEM treatments on his calf and quad to keep the leg strong.

"I have to wear [the brace] because it helps keep my patella straight to heal the right way," Schoop said. "I pretty much have to wear it 24-7. When I go to sleep I take it off."

Schoop said he could begin doing rehab work in the pool on Monday, but it appears Schoop is still several weeks away from getting back into game activity. When Schoop went on the disabled list on April 18, he was told his recovery would likely take six to eight weeks. But it took longer than expected for swelling in the knee to go down. Saturday marked the two-week mark since going on the disabled list.

"I want to be back right now," Schoop said. "I think I’m ahead of schedule, but I don’t want to put a time[table] on myself because if I’m not there by that time, I might be down, you know? Hopefully I will be back before the all-star break, hopefully before that. We’ll see."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-pregame-notes-on-jonathan-schoops-recovery-rehab-for-hardy-and-flaherty-and-manny-machado-in-20150502-story.html

I hope he does return, when he first went down, I pretty much wrote him off for the entire season.

I'm still not getting my hopes up, since so often these O's players say they'll be back at a certain time and then it keeps on getting pushed back and back. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm still not getting my hopes up, since so often these O's players say they'll be back at a certain time and then it keeps on getting pushed back and back. I'll believe it when I see it.

Buck said he expected them back this season. I'll take that as the definitive timeline.

Is it possible to rehab a torn PCL to be as strong as pre-injury?

Would his long term prognosis (3-5 years) be better if he had surgery?

I don't have an understanding of why an ACL is almost always surgery but they try hard to rehab a PCL.

Anyhow I sure hope he makes it back, one of my favorite players to watch, especially his arm on those double plays.

Is it possible to rehab a torn PCL to be as strong as pre-injury?

Would his long term prognosis (3-5 years) be better if he had surgery?

I don't have an understanding of why an ACL is almost always surgery but they try hard to rehab a PCL.

Anyhow I sure hope he makes it back, one of my favorite players to watch, especially his arm on those double plays.

Have we even heard whether this was a complete tear, or a partial one? That usually makes a big difference.

The posterior cruciate ligament is often injured from a blow to the front of the knee while the knee is bent. This often occurs in motor vehicle crashes and sports-related contact. Posterior cruciate ligament tears tend to be partial tears with the potential to heal on their own.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00325

I know things have changed a lot in the last 37 years, but when I wrecked my left knee back in 1978 (full ACL

tear, partial PCL tear, meniscal tear), I was in a hard cast for 6 weeks, and a soft cast for another 2 months.

Despite the surgery, the knee was never right after that. Now it arthritic, and I've had the knee scoped twice

in the last 8 years. I would be concerned about the long-term prognosis for Schoop.....and moreso Manny.

I know things have changed a lot in the last 37 years, but when I wrecked my left knee back in 1978 (full ACL

tear, partial PCL tear, meniscal tear), I was in a hard cast for 6 weeks, and a soft cast for another 2 months.

Despite the surgery, the knee was never right after that. Now it arthritic, and I've had the knee scoped twice

in the last 8 years. I would be concerned about the long-term prognosis for Schoop.....and moreso Manny.

Some medicine on injuries and rehab wasn't advance as it is now.

Take simple ankle sprains, back in my day, we were told to get off the ankle and elevate for 3-7 days, depending on the severity.

Of course, now that is all wrong.

Archived