2015 Florida Marlins

OFFNY

Wow. The GM Jennings is taking over as manager. That is a different kind of special in Florida.

My friend and his father were both scouts under Loria. He has some wonderful insights and stories. My favorite: he had him sit outside in temps of 100 degrees and to watch his Ferrari and make sure nobody parked close to it. He sat there all day watching his car. Why would a scout be assigned to do that you ask? "You didn't ask questions" was his response.

Assigning a GM to be the new manager has just propelled him above Dan Snyder as worst owner.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

o

(JUNE 13th)

Very quietly, the Marlins have been playing respectable baseball, as of late.

Since their 8-game losing streak last month, they have gone 10-9 in their last 19 games ...... starting with their 2 wins over the Orioles back on May 23rd and May 24th.

o

(JUNE 13th)

Since their 8-game losing streak last month, they have gone 10-9 in their last 19 games ...... starting with their 2 wins over the Orioles back on May 23rd and May 24th.

14-13 over their last 27 games.

Still far from contention, but also far from the pushovers that they appeared to be one month ago.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nightmarish season for the Marlins. Tests show star slugger Giancarlo Stanton out 6 weeks with broken bone in hand..</p>— Roy Firestone (@RoyFirestone) <a href="

">June 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UPDATE: Tim Kurkjian reports that Giancarlo Stanton will miss 4-6 weeks with broken bone in left hand.</p>— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="

">June 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The 25-year-old outfielder initially hurt the hand on a swing and miss in the sixth inning of Friday night's game. Stanton's hand appeared swollen, and he said it hurt where he grips the bat. Stanton indicated the pain grew worse as the game progressed. He grimaced in pain with his final swing in the ninth inning and said that at-bat was "the icing on the cake."

Stanton, who finished 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in the game, leads the major leagues with 27 home runs and 67 RBIs.

source - ESPN

o

(JUNE 13th)

14-13 over their last 27 games.

Still far from contention, but also far from the pushovers that they appeared to be one month ago.

After beating the Cubs in the Midwest this afternoon, the Marlins have gone 19-19 over their last 38 games.

Not bad at all for a team that was the laughingstock of baseball a month and-a-half ago ...... but after losing their best hitter Giancarlo Stanton last week, we'll see if they can continue to hang in there and hold their own.

Strangely enough, the Marlins had gone 1-9 in the last 10 games that Stanton had played in between June 17th and June 26th.

Since Stanton has been out, they have gone 5-1 over their last 6 games between June 27th and July 3rd.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/mia

• 4 weeks later...

o

ONE YEAR AGO:

o

The Marlins have 4 starting pitchers with E.R.A.'s under 3, and one of the four has an E.R.A. under 2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2014.shtml

Jose Fernandez OOOOo. 1.59

Nathan Eovaldi OOOOo. 2.58

Henderson Alvarez oO 2.73

Tom Koehler OOOOOOOOo 2.97

The O.P. (APRIL, 2015):

Eovaldi was traded for David Phelps (and Martin Pardo) in the off-season.

They still have Alvarez, Koehler, and Fernandez, although Fernandez has not yet come back from Tommy John surgery, and Fernandez is on the 15-day disabled list.

Phelps (acquired in the Eovaldi trade) is off to a good start this season.

They have added Dan Haren and Jared Cosart.

I don't believe that this team is as deep as the Mets are in the starting pitching department (whom I have been touting since 2013), but I do believe that after Fernandez comes back for a while, they may possibly have a future as a contender in 2016 and beyond.

Last year, they went a fairly respectable 77-85 without Fernandez for most of the season.

Jose Fernandez came back from Tommy John surgery one month ago.

After pitching 6 innings of 1-run ball to defeat the Nationals tonight, he is 4-0 with a 2.53 ERA and a 1.031 WHIP over 5 starts.

The Marlins are 42-58 overall, so this season is shot in terms of a winning year ...... but Fernandez will (presumably) be back for a full season in 2016, joining Tom Koehler, David Phelps, and Dan Haren, who are all having solid seasons now. The Marlins' future may still have some hope in it.

A lot of discord in the clubhouse now. Many vocal critics. And they are leaving one of their OFers in the minors so he misses arbitration eligibility and people are not happy about that either.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Like I said before, no way Stanton doesn't opt out.

A lot of discord in the clubhouse now. Many vocal critics. And they are leaving one of their OFers in the minors so that he will miss arbitration eligibility, and people are not happy about that either.

Thanks. I did not know that.

Not good for a team that is (both long-term and short-term) struggling to get back on their feet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived