Did Snider kick Buck's dog?

eddie83

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller is great against everyone but he's LETHAL vs LHB. Lavarnway was the only RHB on the bench tonight unless you count the rookie Navarro. Buck went with the veteran RHB who actually caught Miller in BOS and is familiar with his arsenal.

I have no issues with the move.

Miller is great against everyone but he's LETHAL vs LHB. Lavarnway was the only RHB on the bench tonight unless you count the rookie Navarro. Buck went with the veteran RHB who actually caught Miller in BOS and is familiar with his arsenal.

Good analysis sir.

Lavarnway has 18 at bats in 25 games. This isn't Pearce or Young pinch hitting. Snider career numbers vs lefties aren't terrible. Miller allowed 3 homers last year and two were to lefties. I understand why Buck did it but at some point he needs to let Snider play.

I would have had more faith in Snider because I had none in Lavarnway. Not a big deal though. If Lavarnway is going to PH, I'd at least like to see him go up there swinging for the fences and not take two strikes.

Buck also very rarely burns his catcher if ever in a spot like that.

I rarely second-guess Buck, even when I disagree with him. I was surprised to see Lavarnway in the on-deck circle, but OK, I understand it. I also am not a fan of small-ball, the running game (unless you've got Billy Hamilton in your lineup), bunting, etc.

But if you have the tying run on first with nobody out against Miller, I don't get running through the bottom of the order without trying something, so that you need two hits or an extra-base hit to tie. Start a runner, bunt, hit-and-run, but try something to get that man to second. And you've got to play for a tie and hope your well-rested pen can outlast the Yankees' in extra innings.

One thing is without dispute...no way Buck pinch hits for Nick with Lavarnway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just wonder what Snider is thinking. He isn't someone with typical lefty splits. Miller has actually been tougher on RH batters the last two seasons.

I just wonder what Snider is thinking. He isn't someone with typical lefty splits. Miller has actually been tougher on RH batters the last two seasons.

Well he knows for sure that he is not Nick's replacement , in Buck's eyes.

Whatever that means.

It means Buck seems to have decided that he is a platoon player and needs to be pinch hit for and at times will be subbed for defensively. None of which ever happened with Nick. Which may be just fine with Travis. And maybe Buck is correct.

Buck played the (supposed and time honored) percentages batting for Snider. But Snider's stats against LH pitching kind of jump off the page at you.

Snider was 16-for-42 (.381) against left-handed pitching last season. So far this year he is 6-for-11 (.545). A quick search showed that Snider has never faced Andrew Miller.

All I could come up with was Lavarnway was a righty and maybe knew a bit about what to expect since he caught Miller in Boston. I didn't realize the Snider stats till I just read them. I guess Buck was just going with the book on Miller (kills lefties with certainty).

I rarely second-guess Buck, even when I disagree with him. I was surprised to see Lavarnway in the on-deck circle, but OK, I understand it. I also am not a fan of small-ball, the running game (unless you've got Billy Hamilton in your lineup), bunting, etc.

But if you have the tying run on first with nobody out against Miller, I don't get running through the bottom of the order without trying something, so that you need two hits or an extra-base hit to tie. Start a runner, bunt, hit-and-run, but try something to get that man to second. And you've got to play for a tie and hope your well-rested pen can outlast the Yankees' in extra innings.

Agreed. The best way to do anything against a guy like miller is to make him uncomfortable. Gotta play with a sense of urgency. We don't need to press. But this team was in the Alcs last year. Eventually you gotta grind out games like this and start hating to lose.

Doesn't Buck manage the traditional "Play for the tie only when you're the home team"?

Whatever that means.
It means Buck seems to have decided that he is a platoon player and needs to be pinch hit for and at times will be subbed for defensively. None of which ever happened with Nick. Which may be just fine with Travis. And maybe Buck is correct.

I agree. It means that Buck doesn't view Snider as being an everyday player. To be honest I'm not surprised

Archived