Update on Matt Wieters - Looking like June 4th Return

Redskins Rick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Wieters is going to rush right back into the starting catchers gig right after his rehab. I think, especially if Joseph keeps hitting the way he has, Wieters will be a DH for a few games before doing a platoon with Joseph.

I don't think Wieters is going to rush right back into the starting catchers gig right after his rehab. I think, especially if Joseph keeps hitting the way he has, Wieters will be a DH for a few games before doing a platoon with Joseph.

If Paredes keeps hitting, Wieters is not going to be a DH. Buck has already said that Wieters and Joseph will likely alternate games behind the plate until Matt is ready to assume the starting role again. Plus, Caleb's slash line in May is an unimpressive 208/.250/.396/.646. He had a good game last night, but I think he will do better with more rest.

If Paredes keeps hitting, Wieters is not going to be a DH. Buck has already said that Wieters and Joseph will likely alternate games behind the plate until Matt is ready to assume the starting role again. Plus, Caleb's slash line in May is an unimpressive 208/.250/.396/.646. He had a good game last night, but I think he will do better with more rest.

I agree that Joseph will do better with more rest and a better backup/platoon option than Lavarnway. But I still think Buck will do a game or two with Wieters at DH. He could possibly move Paredes to 2nd for a game or two since Schoop is behind Wieters on his recovery.

I agree that Joseph will do better with more rest and a better backup/platoon option than Lavarnway. But I still think Buck will do a game or two with Wieters at DH. He could possibly move Paredes to 2nd for a game or two since Schoop is behind Wieters on his recovery.

That just doesn't make sense to me. Parades won't play 2B unless it's an emergency. Also, Buck has said he will not keep 3 catchers and he will not have both catchers in the lineup in the same game, so that just about kills the idea of Wieters DHing.

Buck said in his postgame or pregame the other day that when Wieters returns he will not play both him and Joseph at the same time. So we won't be seeing either catcher at DH anytime soon.

Matt will be the FT catcher when he is back with the Orioles. They are not good enough to both be in the lineup.

I appreciate Wieters as much as the next guy and I will be glad to have him back. And I think having the combination of Wieters and Joseph is way better than the combination of Joseph and Lavarnway/Clevenger. I don't know what the advanced defensive metrics say about Joseph but he seems pretty close to Wieters to me. I know the potential with the bat is not there with Joseph, but he has shown this year that he could put up numbers to support him as an everyday catcher. I mean we talk about Miller not being worth the money for a reliever, but would Wieters be worth the money for a catcher when you have a pretty good guy behind him?

To clarify, I'm not saying reliever money = catcher money. I know there is a higher value for a good catcher over a good catcher, but I'm just questioning if he would be worth it considering what we already have. Again, I don't understand all the advanced metrics and honestly, I don't want to try to. I just watch a lot of Orioles baseball and that's what I see.

I appreciate Wieters as much as the next guy and I will be glad to have him back. And I think having the combination of Wieters and Joseph is way better than the combination of Joseph and Lavarnway/Clevenger. I don't know what the advanced defensive metrics say about Joseph but he seems pretty close to Wieters to me. I know the potential with the bat is not there with Joseph, but he has shown this year that he could put up numbers to support him as an everyday catcher. I mean we talk about Miller not being worth the money for a reliever, but would Wieters be worth the money for a catcher when you have a pretty good guy behind him?

To clarify, I'm not saying reliever money = catcher money. I know there is a higher value for a good catcher over a good catcher, but I'm just questioning if he would be worth it considering what we already have. Again, I don't understand all the advanced metrics and honestly, I don't want to try to. I just watch a lot of Orioles baseball and that's what I see.

I don't really understand what you're saying. The Orioles are already paying Wieters for this year. After the season ends he will be a free agent. As he is a Scott Boras client, there is about a 99.99% chance that he will sign with the highest bidder, which is likely to be someone other than the Orioles. The Orioles have to hope that he has a good enough season this year to be worthy of a Qualifying Offer that will net them a draft choice next year. The odds of him returning are close to zilch.

I don't really understand what you're saying. The Orioles are already paying Wieters for this year. After the season ends he will be a free agent. As he is a Scott Boras client, there is about a 99.99% chance that he will sign with the highest bidder, which is likely to be someone other than the Orioles. The Orioles have to hope that he has a good enough season this year to be worthy of a Qualifying Offer that will net them a draft choice next year. The odds of him returning are close to zilch.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. The possibility of resigning him after this year. I know there are people here who would probably like to resign him even though it's gonna be costly. I was more or less stating, personally, that I don't think Joseph isn't that much of a dropoff.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. The possibility of resigning him after this year. I know there are people here who would probably like to resign him even though it's gonna be costly. I was more or less stating, personally, that I don't think Joseph isn't that much of a dropoff.

I can't think of any.

I can't think of any.

Because Buck doesn't post here. I think Buck wants Wieters back in the worst way. I won't be surprised to see us make a serious bid for him, and I'm almost positive he'll get a QO even if he doesn't have a great season once he returns.

Because Buck doesn't post here. I think Buck wants Wieters back in the worst way. I won't be surprised to see us make a serious bid for him, and I'm almost positive he'll get a QO even if he doesn't have a great season once he returns.

Probably in Buck's heart he wants Wieters back. But in his head he know better. If Wieters shows he is healthy and can throw in the 2nd half than he will at least get Brian McCann money. 5/85. Buck knows that kind of money is not in the budget when Joseph is playing well enough to start 120 games.

Probably in Buck's heart he wants Wieters back. But in his head he know better. If Wieters shows he is healthy and can throw in the 2nd half than he will at least get Brian McCann money. 5/85. Buck knows that kind of money is not in the budget when Joseph is playing well enough to start 120 games.
I think 5/85 is reasonable, and I could see the O's offering that. I just don't see Boras settling for that. Look at the market for catchers next year. The only way Wieters in on this team next year is if he struggles the second half and Boras decides to take a pillow contract.

Archived