HHP: MASN/Nats/Orioles case (Inside the Courtroom)

Frobby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the $641 million increase occurred after Angelos wiped the floor in his deal with MLB.
And the Ravens have no problems selling tickets. But it's pretty obvious the Nationals have hurt the Orioles attendance. So really, the NFL and MLB isn't comparable in this situation.
What does wiped the floor mean in this context?

Mop on... Mop off. :)

extra_long_cotton_mop_2.jpg

Do you feel the same way about the Ravens, should the NFL stepped in and kept them in Cleveland?

It would have save MD taxpayers $200 million for a new stadium, not to mention the 75 million dollar bribe to Art Modell.

This is a false argument. Maryland already set up funds for stadiums to be built for the Orioles and a "future" NFL team in 1986.. Of which those teams would pay rent/fees to off set the costs. Basically MSA is loan program for sports venues. Even the Terps funded it's basketball arena this way..

Angelos received a guarantee of a minimum price sold. I think it was $350 million. And then of course, the television rights that are what this thread is all about.

Ok. I was not familiar with the lingo involved.

No, I get that. But the MLB ultimately controls who has the ability to move where. That's my only point. The Os couldn't expect to open up shop in NYC. It's a two way street. MLB made an agreement and that's why we are where we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Federal Government leaned pretty hard on mlb, well Bush did, to get Nats to DC.

This is a false argument. Maryland already set up funds for stadiums to be built for the Orioles and a "future" NFL team in 1986.. Of which those teams would pay rent/fees to off set the costs. Basically MSA is loan program for sports venues. Even the Terps funded it's basketball arena this way..

MSA is the one state org with $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From MLB's point of view the 2004 Orioles + Expos drew 43k a game. The 2016 Orioles + Nationals draw 57k a game.

In 2004, the Orioles were a laughing stock. Considering they both have been competitive the last few years, I don't think those numbers are very impresseive. Maybe the Orioles average 35,000 a night themselves if not for the Nationals. They lost fans due to the Nationals. Not sure how that's even debatable. Just how many? Idk. The fans were there before. They went away with losing. Why haven't they come back considering the recent success?

In 2004, the Orioles were a laughing stock. Considering they both have been competitive the last few years, I don't think those numbers are very impresseive. Maybe the Orioles average 35,000 a night themselves if not for the Nationals. They lost fans due to the Nationals. Not sure how that's even debatable. Just how many? Idk. The fans were there before. They went away with losing. Why haven't they come back considering the recent success?

I don't think anyone here debates that the Nats have hurt the O's attendance. But from MLB's perspective, the total attendance in DC and Baltimore blows away what Baltimore and Montreal were drawing, mostly because Montreal was drawing next to nothing. So, any deterioration in the Orioles' attendance is easily outweighed by the difference between DC and Montreal attendance. So, from the standpoint of MLB, that's a good thing. Plus, both teams have been very competitive on the field for five straight years now, and seem to be in pretty good shape financially. So, if you are the Orioles' owner or an O's fan, you may not like the presence of the Nats, but from MLB's point of view, it's a total success story, except for embarrassment caused by the MASN bickering.

I don't think anyone here debates that the Nats have hurt the O's attendance. But from MLB's perspective, the total attendance in DC and Baltimore blows away what Baltimore and Montreal were drawing, mostly because Montreal was drawing next to nothing. So, any deterioration in the Orioles' attendance is easily outweighed by the difference between DC and Montreal attendance. So, from the standpoint of MLB, that's a good thing. Plus, both teams have been very competitive on the field for five straight years now, and seem to be in pretty good shape financially. So, if you are the Orioles' owner or an O's fan, you may not like the presence of the Nats, but from MLB's point of view, it's a total success story, except for embarrassment caused by the MASN bickering.

The problem is that there is a monetary settlement. But the other 28 owners are in no way interested in paying it. This could be over today if MLB gave Angelos 10 percent of MLBAM.

As some of us predicted, having a team in DC has been good for O's fans because it forced Angelos to put out a competitive team.

What I don't understand is they are talking about Montreal getting a team again. What has changed that makes them more viable?

Oakland and Tampa need new stadiums and someone has to rope a dope. Puerto Rico is bankrupt and Pete is in Las Vegas.

What I don't understand is they are talking about Montreal getting a team again. What has changed that makes them more viable?

They've always been viable. Just not in the model where the taxpayers give the owner $1B for a stadium, and when that's not forthcoming they bring in a patsy for the commish to sabotage the team.

Archived