Orioles trade away two international bonus slots for Astros LHP Chris Lee

Crazysilver03

I trust Fred Ferreira to know that market. I do. And the 17 year olds are the ones that went bust for some reason. It's the 16 year olds. And it appear that for years most of them have been juicing in preparation for the signing season.

I actually do too. Wish he had more $ to work with b/c I think he has a much better chance to sign the right 7 figure guy than most scouts. I'm sure he can ID 7 figure talent for $300,000. That is really what I would like to see more of.

I'm also optimistic that a few of the under the radar guys will help the org.

I also understand these are just 16/17 yr olds. Look at the draft. This year, an 18 yr old, Tyler Stephenson, wasn't even top 100 2 months ago. Now he may be drafted in the top 10 as a catcher. I've read that earlier many scouts preferred him as a pitcher.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the plan is ownership gives DD a budget and Dan trades off the excess.

Did he trade it away last year, or just reallocate?

If it is not being used getting an arm in return is definitely better than nothing. Lemons into lemonade is a good thing. Still would like more talent in the org.

Did he trade it away last year, or just reallocate?

If it is not being used getting an arm in return is definitely better than nothing. Lemons into lemonade is a good thing. Still would like more talent in the org.

To the best of my recollection he made a number of deals with the cap money in 2013. I don't recall any last season.

"When Fred walked out onto the field, it was like the pope of the Dominican has walked out onto the field," Showalter said. "All these scouts were saying, 'Oh my gosh, there's Fred Ferreira.' We're very lucky to have Fred."

Buck Showalter

Think we are too. The main con, to me, when the DD/Toronto show was the main attraction was the possibility of losing the amateur talent acquisition team of Ferreira and Rajsich. I think we need them through 2018 to really see the benefit. Hopefully, they are training quality replacements.

My take is the same as when Dan did this a couple years ago.

He knows he isn't going to spend the money so he gets what he can for it.

I find it hard to believe he actually covets Chris Lee.

This is correct, in my opinion.

So we gave away some of our international spending on a career minor leaguer... We don't want to spend money in the international market is all this tells me.

Age 22 and 6 foot 5 lefty is not a career.

But you don't agree with the philosophy do you?

I think a team competing against $150 MM payrolls is better off putting resources into finding and developing impact players through amateur acquisition. I think opportunities for amateur acquisition should be leveraged as much as possible since the overall expenditures are so small compared to trading for or signing 22 - 28 year old impact talent.

Archived