Orioles trade away two international bonus slots for Astros LHP Chris Lee

Crazysilver03

So is it that Orioles ownership does not believe in giving this kind of money to 16- and 17-year-old kids or is the philosophy driven by Dan Duquette? Or is it something else?

Again. I have to tell you. The 17 year olds are the failed ones. All the good 16 year olds are gone in July. They never get to be 17. Unless they are banned for cheating. Age or Steroids. Then they have to wait until 17.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is intriguing. So would that mean defense first types would be fast-tracked since defense peaks early?

I think that is probably right. Promotional tracking based on maximizing projected "peak years" for a given skill set. So, you weight the profile to identify the ages you think will provide the most value in the aggregate and then shoot to have the player under control for those years, assuming maybe a year of control will be given up as a "throw away year" where the player transitions to the Major League game.

Again. I have to tell you. The 17 year olds are the failed ones. All the good 16 year olds are gone in July. They never get to be 17. Unless they are banned for cheating. Age or Steroids. Then they have to wait until 17.

I would qualify this. As is the case with US-based amateurs, it's possible for a 16 year old to be undeserving of pro attention and then blossom into a prospect. Definitely true that the 16 year olds that check off the objective talent boxes (velo, raw power, etc.) get gobbled-up, but it's not uncommon for a profile to look much more interesting at 17-years of maturity than it did at 16.

I definitely agree that the "stud" 16 year olds get locked-up early (at this point, usually when they are 15, maybe even 14!), but failing to sign in July doesn't make you a lost cause.

I would qualify this. As is the case with US-based amateurs, it's possible for a 16 year old to be undeserving of pro attention and then blossom into a prospect. Definitely true that the 16 year olds that check off the objective talent boxes (velo, raw power, etc.) get gobbled-up, but it's not uncommon for a profile to look much more interesting at 17-years of maturity than it did at 16.

I definitely agree that the "stud" 16 year olds get locked-up early (at this point, usually when they are 15, maybe even 14!), but failing to sign in July doesn't make you a lost cause.

Ok. You are the expert on this and I mean that seriously. For those who do not know that you are a baseball professional, I wish to point that out. I am right mostly though. Aren't I? Most times? 8 out of 10 on this subject?

No. Dan Duquette did not bring this philosophy to the Orioles. In Peter Angelos' mind Andy MacPhail saved this franchise. And Andy hated the Pelotera. And Andy told Peter they were never 16.

Stottle. You would endorse this post. Correct?

I think that is probably right. Promotional tracking based on maximizing projected "peak years" for a given skill set. So, you weight the profile to identify the ages you think will provide the most value in the aggregate and then shoot to have the player under control for those years, assuming maybe a year of control will be given up as a "throw away year" where the player transitions to the Major League game.

I never thought to do this. Makes perfect sense if you are trying to leverage their strengths.

Ok. You are the expert on this and I mean that seriously. For those who do not know that you are a baseball professional, I wish to point that out. I am right mostly though. Aren't I? Most times? 8 out of 10 on this subject?

Right. The only issue I had was saying the 17 year olds were "failed."

Stottle. You would endorse this post. Correct?

I don't know enough about the inter workings of the warehouse to assign motive to the MacPhail/Angelos decision-making -- that is, whether Mr. Angelos doesn't like spending because MacPhail did not like the high end spending, or if the two simply have similar views.

My understanding from folks that interact with Mr. Duquette on a professional level is that he does not have a personal aversion to this market. My assumption is that ownership doesn't like the idea of handing out huge bonuses to players that often times don't pan out (and additionally -- maybe more importantly? -- participating in the practice of driving-up market costs by splurging on this grouping of amateurs).

My guess is that Duquette would invest in scouting and high-end acquisitions if that pathway of player acquisition fit into the larger framework of how Baltimore wants to run things.

Right. The only issue I had was saying the 17 year olds were "failed."

I was harsh there. My opinion is that most good available 17 year olds were not permitted to sign because of documentation or failed tests. Most.

I don't know enough about the inter workings of the warehouse to assign motive to the MacPhail/Angelos decision-making -- that is, whether Mr. Angelos doesn't like spending because MacPhail did not like the high end spending, or if the two simply have similar views.

My understanding from folks that interact with Mr. Duquette on a professional level is that he does not have a personal aversion to this market. My assumption is that ownership doesn't like the idea of handing out huge bonuses to players that often times don't pan out (and additionally -- maybe more importantly? -- participating in the practice of driving-up market costs by splurging on this grouping of amateurs).

My guess is that Duquette would invest in scouting and high-end acquisitions if that pathway of player acquisition fit into the larger framework of how Baltimore wants to run things.

Fair enough.

• 3 months later...
Do these count as successes for DD? I didnt even know who Triggs was until WC mentioned him needing to be added to the 40 man. He also got DickRod. All for cash considerations. Seems like he did add to the farm this year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Come on man, you are creating a strawman. Most people don't think DD is awful. But he needs to "find some jesus" here really quick:)

Archived