If Steve gets hot, it could help a lot

wildcard

Steve Pearce has hit 3 homers in his last 25 at bats. His stats in that period are:

26 PA, 25 AB, 5 R, 6 H, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 240/269/600/869

Steve had a 930 OPS last year in 338 at bats. When he is hot he can do some damage. I hope he keeps warming.

I think when Flaherty returns Steve will see more playing time at the corner OF spots.

Steve Pearce has hit 3 homers in his last 25 at bats. His stats in that period are:

26 PA, 25 AB, 5 R, 6 H, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 240/269/600/869

Steve had a 930 OPS last year in 338 at bats. When he is hot he can do some damage. I hope he keeps warming.

I think when Flaherty returns Steve will see more playing time at the corner OF spots.

I actually have more hope that Pearce can improve than Davis. I think Davis is who he is at this point. Short of a radical adjustment to his swing which is probably impossible to pull off mid-season, I doubt we're going to see much more from Davis than he's already provided. Hopefully Pearce can draw a few more walks and start hitting the ball better. He doesn't have to smash home runs every other game just get on base more. If Pearce can make Davis sweat a little bit so much the better.

Davis is swiftly turning into Adam Dunn.

Davis March/April .883 OPS May .579 OPS Last 7 days .547 OPS

Jones April/March 1.147 May .596 OPS last 7 days .500 OPS

So Jones is actually in a bigger slide than Davis, down .551 OPS to Davis' .304. Yet Davis is toast and Jones will come around any day now? Davis is second on the club in walks with 16 to Manny's 17, Jones has 7.

Davis March/April .883 OPS May .579 OPS Last 7 days .547 OPS

Jones April/March 1.147 May .596 OPS last 7 days .500 OPS

So Jones is actually in a bigger slide than Davis, down .551 OPS to Davis' .304. Yet Davis is toast and Jones will come around any day now? Davis is second on the club in walks with 16 to Manny's 17, Jones has 7.

It's the strikeouts, people hate the strikeouts.

Also, Davis wasn't good in 2014 so he's on thinner ice.

I actually have more hope that Pearce can improve than Davis. I think Davis is who he is at this point. Short of a radical adjustment to his swing which is probably impossible to pull off mid-season, I doubt we're going to see much more from Davis than he's already provided. Hopefully Pearce can draw a few more walks and start hitting the ball better. He doesn't have to smash home runs every other game just get on base more. If Pearce can make Davis sweat a little bit so much the better.

Davis is swiftly turning into Adam Dunn.

Well he did hit two HR's today.

Steve is on pace for roughly the same amount of homers as last year. Problem is he had 26 doubles last year and only 1 this year. Some of that could be due to his BABIP falling .140 points from last season when his batted ball data indicates it probably should actually have risen from last season. He's walking a little less and striking out more but that will most likely even out a bit. In my opinion, he will be one of our top 3 hitters by the end of the season once again.

Steve Pearce will help this team be it as a starter or off the bench. His versatility almost ensures the guy is going to be a net benefit to your team. Personally I think he brings max return as a guy who plays a lot but not every day.

Archived