"As much as most of us root for Bud . . . he's not helping our pitching"

weams

Yes, most everyone believes Wright is out pitching Norris except you. It shouldn't matter that he's a rookie.

No, I certainly believe he is outperforming Bud in every conceivable way over his first three starts. That is very clear. But rookie pitchers have been known at times to have some growing pains in the heat of their first big league season. And, either way, it is not what I think that matters, it is what Buck thinks that counts. He writes out the lineup.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I certainly believe he is outperforming Bud in every conceivable way over his first three starts. That is very clear. But rookie pitchers have been known at times to have some growing pains in the heat of their first big league season. And, either way, it is not what I think that matters, it is what Buck thinks that counts. He writes out the lineup.

It's not like Mike is improving each time out there.

It is a very fascinating and interesting process to manage complex talent and merge it with other talent over the ups and downs of 162 games. Other than your flat out core players (Jones, Hardy, Machado, Wieters when he returns), Buck (and other managers) tries to wring every bit of contributions out of unexpected players. He does try to ride hot performers just long enough (but not too long). The Steve Pearce of 2014, Jimmy Paredes this year, Mike Wright, etc. can all add wins to the total if they are put in the right position to contribute. But if a manager jumps off the ledge too soon in getting rid of proven performers who have contributed nothing so far, he obviously will miss any future upswing in their performance. I certainly do want to jump off ledges lots of times (in the Game threads) about almost EVERY Orioles player at some point, but, fortunately, Buck is in charge, not me. And it is that same mind set of mine that had me sell off Google and Netflix at a cross sectional low rather than waiting for the return of performance. I definitely would have cost us Davis's recent spate of home runs, because I truly would have sat him down for a few games. Good thing, for all of us, that I am not in charge.

It is a very fascinating and interesting process to manage complex talent and merge it with other talent over the ups and downs of 162 games. Other than your flat out core players (Jones, Hardy, Machado, Wieters when he returns), Buck (and other managers) tries to wring every bit of contributions out of unexpected players. He does try to ride hot performers just long enough (but not too long). The Steve Pearce of 2014, Jimmy Paredes this year, Mike Wright, etc. can all add wins to the total if they are put in the right position to contribute. But if a manager jumps off the ledge too soon in getting rid of proven performers who have contributed nothing so far, he obviously will miss any future upswing in their performance. I certainly do want to jump off ledges lots of times (in the Game threads) about almost EVERY Orioles player at some point, but, fortunately, Buck is in charge, not me. And it is that same mind set of mine that had me sell off Google and Netflix at a cross sectional low rather than waiting for the return of performance. I definitely would have cost us Davis's recent spate of home runs, because I truly would have sat him down for a few games. Good thing, for all of us, that I am not in charge.

The problem with sitting Davis was who takes his place?

As bad as he looked there wasn't a viable replacement that was clearly an improvement.

The problem with sitting Davis was who takes his place?

As bad as he looked there wasn't a viable replacement that was clearly an improvement.

Agreed. And that made the decision much easier to just go with Davis than it would have been if Pearce had been hitting over .300.

Oh, oh, really good example.

Really? Did Buck play Teagarden any more than he plays any backup C? Basically just in day games following night games. DD had nothing to do with Buck's usage of the backup C because he uses them all the same.

It's not like Mike is improving each time out there.

No. And advance scouts are carefully observing all his starts and preparing opponent ts with a game plan to face him. I hope he continues to pitch well but the road gets much harder

Really? Did Buck play Teagarden any more than he plays any backup C? Basically just in day games following night games. DD had nothing to do with Buck's usage of the backup C because he uses them all the same.

Oh, come on. Lighten up, it was one example and I was having fun with it. Just to be clear, though, Duquette did make the decision to jettison Teagarden right?

Does it get easier for Norris?

No but there is no new scouting report on him. He doesn't need to counter adjustments hitters are making against him.

Even though he isn't as good as he was last year, he also is t as bad as he has pitched this year. I hope there was some type of physical problem relating to his sore back in spring training that rest has taken care of.

Oh, come on. Lighten up, it was one example and I was having fun with it. Just to be clear, though, Duquette did make the decision to jettison Teagarden right?

Didn't realize you were joking. Sounded like you were trying to make the point that sometimes Buck's loyalty to players is so detrimental that DD has to resort to using his GM position to force Buck's hand.

Guess I should have realizes that was so ridiculous that it had to be a joke, but the lack of a smiley face tricked me. Sorry

No but there is no new scouting report on him. He doesn't need to counter adjustments hitters are making against him.

Even though he isn't as good as he was last year, he also is t as bad as he has pitched this year. I hope there was some type of physical problem relating to his sore back in spring training that rest has taken care of.

Sure there are. They include info like how his command is spotty and his slider has disappeared.

Archived