Travis Snider's Swing

Orioles4Life21

I meant a power slump. Schoop, Lough, and Flaherty have more HR's than Snider.

...but Snider's got more HR's than Markakis!! :D

I just took a look and surprisingly, he's listed at 0.9 WAR at Baseball-Reference, with a very good defensive score. Markakis is listed at 1.2 rWAR even with his .300 BA and near .400 OBP. Considering he's been in 17 more games than Snider, B-Ref is saying they're providing roughly equal value. :eek:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...but Snider's got more HR's than Markakis!! :D

I just took a look and surprisingly, he's listed at 0.9 WAR at Baseball-Reference, with a very good defensive score. Markakis is listed at 1.2 rWAR even with his .300 BA and near .400 OBP. Considering he's been in 17 more games than Snider, B-Ref is saying they're providing roughly equal value. :eek:

I would have used to comment that this sabermetric stuff is hogwash with comparisons like this as my eye test in watching Snder indicates he isn't even close to Markakis or as good as Nate Mcclouth when the Orioles had him but now I am thinking the opposite! He must actually not be as bad as he looks or appears!

Amazing how folks that have never played the first pitch of professional baseball at this level, can be so darn critical.

Huh, what does that have do with anything? People are having a conversation about guy who is not performing well. They've stated statistically how he's fallen off and then have discussed some possible problems with his stance or conditioning. Since when does playing baseball professionally mean you are the only one allowed to have an opinion or to be able to be critical?

It's not just the lack of homeruns. I can't recall him seeing him really drive the ball to RF once all season. He rarely drives the ball anywhere. We aren't even seeing warning track power. That makes me think the power isn't going to come around.

Whatever he was doing last year in the second half, he hasn't been able to replicate that approach/swing. He looks pretty hopeless up there and I rather not see at bats that could be used to help Pearce get back on track wasted.

It's not just the lack of homeruns. I can't recall him seeing him really drive the ball to RF once all season. He rarely drives the ball anywhere. We aren't even seeing warning track power. That makes me think the power isn't going to come around.

Whatever he was doing last year in the second half, he hasn't been able to replicate that approach/swing. He looks pretty hopeless up there and I rather not see at bats that could be used to help Pearce get back on track wasted.

He is trying to disprove Ted Williams's theories on hitting. He is not succeeding.

He is trying to disprove Ted Williams's theories on hitting. He is not succeeding.

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36714431&topic_id=8877442&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I've been watching Snider. I've groaned whenever he struck out or hit a pop-up, ground-out or GIDP. However, watching him hit that double tonight made me think. I have a theory about him. He is a short, rather dumpy-looking player and thus his swing is also rather dumpy-looking. He certainly isn't Adam Jones or Manny Machado by any means. But he just might actually be better than his swing looks. He has a OBP of .327, but he doesn't show a whole lot of power (SLG=.326). My own personal "jury" is still out on whether he should be DFA or not. In some instances, he really is useful.

Late to the discussion.....but Snider looks "stiff" and "unflexible" when he swings. Body parts you see moving on other hitters don't seem to move on him, or at least not noticeably. The odd thing for me is that I don't remember him looking like that in ST and earlier in the season........or maybe I just didn't notice because he started out so good.....a HR, 6 RBIs and hitting almost .400 in the first 6 games. Maybe he's playing hurt. maybe not, but I would give him more time to get it back together.

Also, he is used to hitting against both RH and LH pitching. Buck seems to platoon him. Maybe that is also a factor in his lack of expected production.

Last night game was more of a very poor pitching outing.

But, it was fun to watch.

Travis went 2-3 with HR and run scored and that should help his OPS.

Snider didn't HR last night. His .355 slugging is the problem. David Lough's is .369

Here's the thing though, Snider's not in that much of a slump:

2015: .252/.327 - 0.23 K/PA

career: .246/.312 - 0.25 K/PA

2014: .264/.338 - 0.19 K/PA

He's doing a little better than career average in making contact, and a little worse than 2014 in Pittsburgh. It's a definite power outage with him.

2015 SLG = .326

career SLG = .400

2014 SLG = .438

The way baseball works though, all it takes is one week with 3 HR from him and he'll be right there.

That's why stats can be misleading. Anyone with two eyes can recognize that Snider has limited upside

Archived