Selection Show thread

Miller192

I think that one of the best things about the NCAA tournament is that every conference is represented. That way, unlike in football with the BCS, every school has a theoretical chance to play for the championship. However, I agree that deciding it based on a conference tournament is foolish.

But it's not every conference. Looking at the NIT website yesterday I found out that there are five or six conferences whose champions get automatic NIT bids.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But it's not every conference. Looking at the NIT website yesterday I found out that there are five or six conferences whose champions get automatic NIT bids.

Hmm, well I think that those conferences should at least get a chance through play-in games similar to the one that already exists.

I think those are regular-season champs. For example, UMBC clinched an NIT berth by winning the America East regular season title, but, since they won the conference tourney, they get to go to the Big Dance instead. Morgan State, on the other hand, lost its tourney title game to Coppin, but they still get an automatic bid to the NIT as the regular season MEAC champ. I believe all Division I conference tournament champions get NCAA Tourney bids now.

Correct...The regular season champs get the auto bid in the NIT if they don't win their conference tourney.

The major conferences don't have to worry about that because they will be in anyway but the mid majors, especially the low mid majors, don't have that luxury.

Archived