This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

Also, not that it *needs* to be said, but if "this is Duquette's mess" then it has to be acknowledged that the best record in the AL East from 2012 to present is also his to own. This isn't a bad or stupid or distracted or whatever baseball decision-maker. He's a really smart and capable guy that may or may not have fallen short in his approach for 2015.

I'm still open to seeing what he has in store for this offseason before I start flaming for failure to build for the future, as well, but that is really the only area where I see the organization as having clearly fallen short thus far.

Yeah I think he's had an approach that worked for 3 seasons that he was sticking to. It hasn't worked so far this year. It happens.

One thing I'd point out is that while the O's have had their share of "luck" over the past 3 seasons, this year has been very unlucky. Their pythagorean record is actually good at 51-43 (same as the Yanks). It is not a fatally flawed team, the baseball gods just haven't been kind to us this year like they have been in the past.

I'm ok with Duquette if he wants to hold onto the free agents and play it out. Contrary to popular belief, most teams actually don't get much from mid-season rental dumps. All it takes is one good and one decent month to get us back in the wild card race. Houston had been sliding bad, and who really thinks Minnesota is this good?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm convinced we're going to trade for Haren and just stay where we are at. Seems like this market has flipped and now it's a buyers market. Just gotta chase that wild card and maybe make a August trade for a bat.

As far as Joseph goes, I'm looking forward to a Joseph/Clevenger platoon next year. Buck needs to get over his hate for the guy.

I'm convinced we're going to trade for Haren and just stay where we are at. Seems like this market has flipped and now it's a buyers market. Just gotta chase that wild card and maybe make a August trade for a bat.

As far as Joseph goes, I'm looking forward to a Joseph/Clevenger platoon next year. Buck needs to get over his hate for the guy.[/QUOTE]

What hate?

He failed to perform behind the plate well enough to keep his job. He was sent to AAA. Allowed by Buck to dress and be a bullpen catcher for the playoff team.

He was kept around, he proved that he is better behind the plate.

Was shipped to AAA, since the team couldn't keep 3 catchers.

How is that hate?

I'm still open to seeing what he has in store for this offseason before I start flaming for failure to build for the future, as well, but that is really the only area where I see the organization as having clearly fallen short thus far.

While I've certainly been a Duquette defender, I am very curious how he's going to approach the rest of the year and the offseason. The farm has produced a few notable players during his tenure, but hasn't been deep, and is clearly in need of some more talent. I'm hoping the QO/draft pick process will add some talent. I guess we'll see if he does some more proactive things to augment that. I would love to have built a more productive developmental system, but I would trade that for the successes of 2012-today. The last 3.5 years have been fun, and it had been a long time since Oriole baseball had been fun.

While I've certainly been a Duquette defender, I am very curious how he's going to approach the rest of the year and the offseason. The farm has produced a few notable players during his tenure, but hasn't been deep, and is clearly in need of some more talent. I'm hoping the QO/draft pick process will add some talent. I guess we'll see if he does some more proactive things to augment that. I would love to have built a more productive developmental system, but I would trade that for the successes of 2012-today. The last 3.5 years have been fun, and it had been a long time since Oriole baseball had been fun.

I am of like mind with you.

Disagree with everything that I have said and am about to say all you want, but a lot of my concerns in the beginning of the season have proven to be correct and the team is 2 games under .500 for a reason.

Going into this season it was common knowledge that this was the Orioles' last season to win with the current core of players. It's safe to assume that Wieters, Davis, Chen and O'Day all won't be resigned. The Orioles had two realistic options: 1) Do nothing and hope that the return of Wieters and Machado puts the team over the top. 2) Get a little aggressive and/or exceed the imaginary "budget" by a little bit knowing that payroll will probably be reduced in 2016.

The Orioles chose to bring in Snider, Cabrera, Parmele, Reimold and Cabrera. In other words, they chose to do nothing. None of those guys belong on a major league roster as anything other than bench players. These are not the kinds of players who are going to put a team over the top. Like I said in the beginning of the season, the Orioles did not do ANYTHING to improve the team in the offseason and it was a mistake.

The Orioles went into the season with a bad corner outfield situation and without a leadoff hitter. In the beginning of the year I expressed my concerns about the undiscliplined nature of the offense and guys like Redskins Rick said that they have the best record over the past 3 seasons. Other OH experts said that the statistical evidence proves that I'm wrong etc etc. Travis Snider gets on base and has a good OPS, De Aza is fine at leadoff etc etc etc.

Well, this team is 2 games under .500 and 7 games out of 1st place for a reason. It's time for the apologists to accept the fact that the front office had a poor offseason. It's a shame that they missed their window of opportunity. Hopefully the roster gets restocked for next season and the team can be competitive. Unfortunately the team doesn't draft particularly well (although it has gotten better), Bundy and Harvey have been injured, they have laughably screwed around with Gausman and they generally don't spend a lot of money on free agents. In other words I'm concerned.

If he grasps that we are indeed out of it' date=' then he needs to get Alvarez and Walker up here pronto.[/quote']

That's assuming that they think Alvarez or Walker could be productive members of the next good Orioles team. I think both have age and/or performance questions that make that fairly unlikely.

That's assuming that they think Alvarez or Walker could be productive members of the next good Orioles team. I think both have age and/or performance questions that make that fairly unlikely.

I think if we are out of it, with the situation of our OF and the probably departure of Davis, we need to find out what these guys can do. And anyone else nearing that point, maybe Urrieta

Agree. The one thing i did not like is limited roster flexibility. Times the Orioles did not have a long man in the bullpen or only had Pearce to play infield. I guess that is what happens when you sign these guys who have no options and have failed with other teams and trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I guess if the Orioles had a better farm system they would be able to bring up prospects instead of guys with no options trying to get their career back on track.

. Like I said in the beginning of the season, the Orioles did not do ANYTHING to improve the team in the offseason and it was a mistake.

The Orioles went into the season with a bad corner outfield situation and without a leadoff hitter. In the beginning of the year I expressed my concerns about the undiscliplined nature of the offense and guys like Redskins Rick said that they have the best record over the past 3 seasons. Other OH experts said that the statistical evidence proves that I'm wrong etc etc. Travis Snider gets on base and has a good OPS, De Aza is fine at leadoff etc etc etc.

Well, this team is 2 games under .500 and 7 games out of 1st place for a reason. It's time for the apologists to accept the fact that the front office had a poor offseason. It's a shame that they missed their window of opportunity. Hopefully the roster gets restocked for next season and the team can be competitive. Unfortunately the team doesn't draft particularly well (although it has gotten better), Bundy and Harvey have been injured, they have laughably screwed around with Gausman and they generally don't spend a lot of money on free agents. In other words I'm concerned.

No matter how coherent and common sense your POV is, if it doesn't align with the "FO is perfect" dogma then you're going to get hit with a ton of snark and nasty attitudes.

Now, with the horrible offseason exposed and with DD's lack of significant moves, the core of players we hoped would take us to thepromised land is on the verge of departure and there's no plan for the future. Our farm is barren so the only thing we can do is rely upon the draft and international signings to return us to contention.

Thank god 105.7 exists because if this was my sole source of Orioles fandom contact, I'd be terrified.

MSK

No matter how coherent and common sense your POV is, if it doesn't align with the "FO is perfect" dogma then you're going to get hit with a ton of snark and nasty attitudes.

Now, with the horrible offseason exposed and with DD's lack of significant moves, the core of players we hoped would take us to thepromised land is on the verge of departure and there's no plan for the future. Our farm is barren so the only thing we can do is rely upon the draft and international signings to return us to contention.

Thank god 105.7 exists because if this was my sole source of Orioles fandom contact, I'd be terrified.

MSK

Seriously?

You think Norris and Davis are the voices of reason for this team? SMH

MSK

Well said and thanks. Some of the people who call into 105.7 are def interesting lol but I know what you meant.

Archived