This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not be naive. Contracts are broken all of the time. Obviously, Angelos agrees with you and held Duquette to his contract. The question is, do you really want an employee working for you who would rather be some place else. I don't question Duquette's integrity but others have.

Which is why Duquette is to blame here not Angelos (ignore my screen name for now). :D

It is a mess because we have an organization where the most senior baseball guy doesn't want to be here. It is a mess because 2015 is really a wasted year. We were very close at the end of 2014 and 2015 could have been the year to really go for it all. We chose to not go for it all by letting the free agents leave yet the spin to reporters is the team is All In for this season. The moves we made this past offseason are not all in. Now we will go into next year with needs for 1B, C, 2 OFs, a DH, 2 starting pitchers, maybe a reliever.

If we weren't truly committed to go for it this year, we should have started retooling last offseason.

OP, I agree with you about it being PA's mess. But I don't think DD sabotaged us in any way. PA should have let DD leave or should have re worked his contract. This offseason is a joke. Our owner will always be a lawyer and was/is to concerned with the legality of contracts and the MASN dispute. To him that's more important to winning. Does he even go to games? I know he's older but he wasn't at the playoff games.

i

I am very much a cynic when it comes to WAR. I know that no one claims that it is a perfect stat but I find some of the numbers comical. Markakis has played in 762 innings in the field and Snider has played in 387 innings. Markakis has an OBP of .381 to Snider's .325. Markakis WAR is 1.1 while Snider is 1.4. So a player who has played in 375 fewer innings and has 206 PA's to Markakis 381, a difference of 175 is a more "valuable" player? Now have I watched much of Markakis this year no, I haven't. I find it insulting to my baseball intelligence that Snider even if he has a little more range is such a superior defender over Nick. Also Snider is a player that gets pinch hit for constantly. So a guy that has played roughly half the innings on the field and close to half the at bats at lesser production is more valuable because WAR says so? Even if the argument is that WAR difference is minimal it still doesn't add up.

Quiet...they'll ban you for that, or at least try to embarrass you for your poor comprehension of sacred algorithms comprised of arbitrarily weighted variables.

You are misinformed. The team has never been all in. They have been for "competitive" with a chance to contend for the playoffs. They have done it for 3 years and were doing it this year as well. Still might. Going all in would have required a 150M or more payroll.

Amazing that people can't comprehend this.

You are misinformed. The team has never been all in. They have been for "competitive" with a chance to contend for the playoffs. They have done it for 3 years and were doing it this year as well. Still might. Going all in would have required a 150M or more payroll.

Which is why we can not be calm under fire. It's no one's fault. The team is in Baltimore.

i

Quiet...they'll ban you for that, or at least try to embarrass you for your poor comprehension of sacred algorithms comprised of arbitrarily weighted variables.

Nah. We'll just ask you about your supposedly better methods. If you've gone to the trouble of devising a better way of systematic player evaluation that's really cool.

Nah. We'll just ask you about your supposedly better methods. If you've gone to the trouble of devising a better way of systematic player evaluation that's really cool.

You're just providing cover for the fact that Dumpster Dan twiddled his thumbs all offseason, obviously so distracted by Toronto that he did nothing and then assembled whatever AAA talent he could when PA pulled the rug out from under him. That instead of going for it and improving the team.

Lets not let those numbers and anlaysis get in the way of valuable insight ... statboy.

I hope that was a joke. Never banned or censored anyone for their opinion. But don't think that an opinion can obfuscate real facts. You know. The provable ones.

For instance. It may be my opinion that "There are no Hats." I would be wrong. If you read the link there may be some language that offends you. Dependant on your opinions.

i

It's funny because I get raked over coals for supposedly "saying the same thing repeatedly" yet these folks repeat the same mantra of arbitrary stats to defend never spending money or improving the team.

HIGH-larious.

MSK

It's funny because I get raked over coals for supposedly "saying the same thing repeatedly" yet these folks repeat the same mantra of arbitrary stats to defend never spending money or improving the team.

HIGH-larious. MSK

Yes, because all stats and analysis are exactly the same as your same old mindlessly empty rhetoric.

HIGH-larious.

MSK

You only get criticized when you try to stir up controversy and bate fellow posters instead of engaging in factual discourse.

Really, read this. You will like it. http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-7611752

You only get criticized when you try to stir up controversy and bate fellow posters instead of engaging in factual discourse.

Really, read this. You will like it. http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-7611752

Probably my biggest pet peeve, outside of "could care less," is when people end everything with "just my opinion" or "just my two cents." It's not as if the rest of the world assumed you were giving somebody else's opinion before you threw that in, and it doesn't make it any less wrong. It just makes the writer sound anemic.

Archived