Loewen's First Inning

OsandBohs11

I'm sorry, but you're just ignoring the obvious evidence that Loewen hasn't regained a passable level of command this spring after taking most of last year off. I wish that weren't the case, but it is. I'm very discouraged by how he has performed this spring. His walks totals are unacceptable and they are just one facet of what has been an extremely rocky spring for him.

Well said Frobby.

Loewen's future -- anywhere from MLB ace to first-round washout -- depends more on his ability to improve his walk rate than anything else, and whatever the #2 issue is, is not even close.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well said Frobby.

Loewen's future -- anywhere from MLB ace to first-round washout -- depends more on his ability to improve his walk rate than anything else, and whatever the #2 issue is, is not even close.

For now, I don't even care much whether he improves his walk rate over where it was in 2006. What I'm concerned about is his performance this spring -- 12 walks in 7.1 innings, to go along with 9 hits and 11 runs allowed. And it's not a case of one or two wild outings; he has been wild every time he has taken the mound. He should get 2 more starts before the season begins, and if he can't have two decent outings there is simply no way you can have him in the rotation until he gets things straightened out.

If anything Loewens performance is only going to compell AM to intensify his efforts to get Jason Marquis.
I totally agree with you Marquis is getting more valuble by the day. There are teams interested in him now that he has had a very good spring. IMo a deal gets done soon the Orioles need a starter or 2 badly and Hendry has teams looking at his starters that are available.

This is a worse case scenario for the Orioles if Loewen can't find his control. He has no options left so he can' be sent to the minors and they need to keep Bierd in the long relief role to keep him. Right now, if Loewen doesn't start to throw more strikes, I can see him heading to the DL to start the season with shoulder "soreness."

Loewen has never had good control, but his lack of command coming after an injury in which he missed most of last year is a pretty big concern right now.

If not, maybe Burres and Albers both make the rotation with Loewen going to long relief? The Orioles would then have to sneak Aquino through waivers and stash him at Norfolk until something opens up for him on the big league squad.

I totally agree with you Marquis is getting more valuble by the day. There are teams interested in him now that he has had a very good spring. IMo a deal gets done soon the Orioles need a starter or 2 badly and Hendry has teams looking at his starters that are available.

Let's not get too carried away here.

Marquis is still trying to get his trade value out of the red.

Archived