Loewen's First Inning

OsandBohs11

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The notion that simply logging innings will improve Loewen's (or anyone's) command is a specious one.

I don't think that is a specious thing to say in March when a guy hasn't pitched in games in 10+ months and is currently walking 14 batters per nine innings.

I don't think that is a specious thing to say in March when a guy hasn't pitched in games in 10+ months and is currently walking 14 batters per nine innings.

Improve from 14 per 9? Sure, absolutely. That's simply a sample size problem there.

But improve from the 5.xx per 9 that it's been over a professional career that spans 450+ IP? Now you're knee deep in dubious logic.

Here is John Sickels' take on Adam Loewen, written last week:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/3/12/185347/205

Hey nice find, Al Leiter huh? Think I would take that in a second I just hope he doesn't take as long as Lieter did to get going. But I suppose that's what he saying, his better years will probably come in another uni, if he's lucky enough to stay healthy.

Improve from 14 per 9? Sure, absolutely. That's simply a sample size problem there.

But improve from the 5.xx per 9 that it's been over a professional career that spans 450+ IP? Now you're knee deep in dubious logic.

Nobody is saying that BECAUSE AL gets innings his control will improve; people are saying that the ONLY way for him to learn to improve his control is through more innings. The logic isn't that difficult to follow.

Nobody is saying that BECAUSE AL gets innings his control will improve; people are saying that the ONLY way for him to learn to improve his control is through more innings. The logic isn't that difficult to follow.

Yes they are, actually.

I have little doubt that his BB and K rates will be fine if he gets the innings.
The guy has to log innings for a few years to get his control under control.
Loewen just needs some more innings to work out his control issues.
It's called RUST, people.

Rust.

Maybe you interpreted one of the earlier posts differently than I did. Did anyone say Loewen could improve his BB/9 rates below 5 per game merely by logging more innings?

Yes they are, actually.

Count me in as saying all this young lad needs is more innings to shake off the rust and regain his confidence. It sort of common sense if you ever tried to do anything after a longer than expected layoff for whatever reason. Even Lowen said so himself and he seems like a straight shooter to me as opposed to some players who like to blow smoke up your wazoo. As he was quoted in the article he just needs some innings to regain his focus and as inferred from Ramon's comments restore his confidence in pitching at the ML level. Its really no more than that. I have to laugh at how some are almost writing this kid off already. He is still the best of the young crop they have right now bar none. Cabrera is the guy who ought to be written off. He's beyond hopeless at this point in my estimation.

Was anyone at the game when Loewen pitched yesterday? I understand it wasn't a very good line but Im curious if anyone knows what his velocity is like. Is he throwing 93-95 like he used to? Or is evident that he just hasn't completely recovered yet?

Archived