Watched the Nats broadcast tonight

Frobby

I turned on my TV tonight and it happened to be set on MASN 2. My first instinct was to change to the O's broadcast, but I decided to stick with the Nats for a while. I ended up staying with it through the game winning homer, and I have to say, the Nats guys did a good job. They were very generous to the Orioles and objective in their call of the game. I've not enjoyed watching them most of the time, but they called a nice game tonight. A few of their observations about the O's.

- They were marveling at Manny's plate coverage, and said he can go to RF on pitches 4-5 inches outside but still turn on inside pitches, and uses his lanky frame to good advantage.

- They repeatedly complimented the tag Schoop made on Wieters' bounced throw, and how he let the ball travel to the glove.

- They pointed out that the way O'Day dips his shoulder, he creates the illusion of throwing submarine, but really he releases the ball above his belt line.

- They were very imoressed at how Britton can sink the ball at 95+ mph.

- They both said that, having already seen the Yankees and Jays play the Nats, they feel the O's are the most talented team in the division and should win it.

- They both said that, having already seen the Yankees and Hays play the Nats, they feel the O's are the most talented team in the division and should win it.

I feel like they're being very kind to the Orioles on this one. If the Blue Jays get a lick of decent pitching, they'll run away with the division IMO.

I decided to use my mlb.tv account to listen to how that Nats radio and TV guys called it.

The tv is blacked out until 90 minutes after the game so I've only listened to radio so far. One of the announcers was pretty upset by the ending. I'm pretty sure this is Dave Jageler talking.

Here is a direct quote. The ... indicate a pause.

"I don't know how that ball got out. I mean that's a routine flyball ...into the first row.. on the slider that was left up a little bit. And the Nationals continue to be unable to defeat the Orioles and continue to struggle to score runs. In this game, they had a chance to win late, could not put it away...

Schoop was bat flipping it like it was in the second deck and it cleared by about an inch on a very short porch."

I think even when were criticizing Bautista for his at bat antics, we pretty much accepted that if someone hits a walk off, a celebration is game. It's when bloops are 3rd inning RBI like with KC last fall or Joey Bat's showboating of a pitcher, is it an issue. That's a load of sour grapes by the Nats announcer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

A bat flip? I didn't see that from Schoop. He carried his bat with him cause he knew it was either a HR or an out. In no way do I think he was showing up the pitcher or opposing team. Nats broadcaster was obviously very upset and was reaching for something to get on Schoop for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think even when were criticizing Bautista for his at bat antics, we pretty much accepted that if someone hits a walk off, a celebration is game. It's when bloops are 3rd inning RBI like with KC last fall or Joey Bat's showboating of a pitcher, is it an issue. That's a load of sour grapes by the Nats announcer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Pretty strong take.

A bat flip? I didn't see that from Schoop. He carried his bat with him cause he knew it was either a HR or an out. In no way do I think he was showing up the pitcher or opposing team. Nats broadcaster was obviously very upset and was reaching for something to get on Schoop for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was no bat flip at all. He was definitely reaching on that one.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v248419783/

I decided to use my mlb.tv account to listen to how that Nats radio and TV guys called it.

The tv is blacked out until 90 minutes after the game so I've only listened to radio so far. One of the announcers was pretty upset by the ending. I'm pretty sure this is Dave Jageler talking.

Here is a direct quote. The ... indicate a pause.

It's the same kind of crap Singleton said back in 2012.

My response, as always: if it's so easy to hit the ball out, where were all your team's homers?

Truth is, Camden Yards is small, but both teams are playing with the same dimensions, so quit you're whining. At least you don't have to deal with awful turf or stupid catwalks.

Obviously I didn't hear the tone of what the radio guy said, but from what I read I don't think he was saying Schoop did anything obnoxious or offensive. He's just saying Schoop reacted as though he knew that ball was going out, when it really wasn't clear that it would get out. I have no problem with that comment. However, when the O's announcers asked Schoop if he knew right away the ball was going out, he said "oh yeah" or words to that effect. So I think what really happened here is the announcer isn't used to the dimensions and air currents of OPACY, that's all. That's not a homer at Nationals Park.

It's the same kind of crap Singleton said back in 2012.

My response, as always: if it's so easy to hit the ball out, where were all your team's homers?

Truth is, Camden Yards is small, but both teams are playing with the same dimensions, so quit you're whining.

Yeah, but... the Orioles play there all the time, so they know they don't have to hit the ball very far for a HR! :D

The Nats' tears taste delicious.

Archived