5 games or 8 games out July 31st the fact remains....

ChuckS

That the Yankees are just better than us. I was thinking about this today.

Where are we better than them?

Not at the top of the lineup. Ellsbury/Gardner might be the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

Not in the middle of the lineup. ARod/Tex/McCann >>> Jones/Davis/Wieters and it's not even close.

The SP is close to a wash, with Tanaka/Pineda having better shutdown potential than any of our five.

Even our bullpen which is very good is still not as good as the Yankees.

Our team defense is better. That's it.

Unless they fall apart due to injuries over the next two months I don't see how we overtake them. That's why I'm on team sell.

Not at the top of the lineup. Ellsbury/Gardner might be the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

Not in the middle of the lineup. ARod/Tex/McCann >>> Jones/Davis/Wieters and it's not even close.

The SP is close to a wash, with Tanaka/Pineda having better shutdown potential than any of our five.

Unless they fall apart due to injuries over the next two months I don't see how we overtake them. That's why I'm on team sell.

What about the Wild Card?

Too many teams ahead of us in less crowded divisions. I'm also fairly confident the Jays add a front line starter at the deadline putting them clearly ahead of us in the AL East (their GM is going all in) pecking order.

Better

Second Base

Third Base

Center Field

Push

Catcher

Shortstop

Starting Rotation

Bullpen

Worse

First Base

Left Field

Right Field

Designated Hitter

I'd move Catcher and Bullpen over to their side and CF to a push. McCann is throwing out 40 percent of runners and has a good amount on Wieters/Joseph in OPS. Can't really argue with the rest. Still lopsided in their favor.

The key for them is having a 1-2 that can get on base 38 percent of the time and having two .900 OPS guys hitting behind them.

For all those folks that think that we have a shot at the Wild Card:

We are 5 back in the Wild Card standings. Not 5 games ... 5 TEAMS. If Cleveland wins tonight they will be tied with us and the Rangers are only a game back. There is a very real possibility that we are 7 TEAMS back in a few days.

We don't have enough talent or prospects to pull us out of this tailspin.

• 2 months later...

You were correct.

We did not overtake the Yankees, and our season overall was very disappointing.

We did salvage a .500 record however, and in sweeping the Yankees in the final 3 games on the schedule, took the season series from them (10 games to 9.)

You were correct.

We did salvage a .500 record however, and in sweeping the Yankees in the final 3 games on the schedule, took the season series from them (10 games to 9.)

We took the season series from them, and what did you say they finished, including the Wild Card. 1-8? 1-7? Total collapse.

You were correct.

We took the season series from them, and what did you say they finished, including the Wild Card. 1-8? 1-7? Total collapse.

The Yankees finished the season by losing 7 out of their final 8 games.

vs. RED SOX o) 1-3

vs. ORIOLES o) 0-3

vs. ASTROS o)). 0-1

Archived