Orioles Road Cap: Larger logo this year?

NashLumber

I've had the "new" cartoon bird cap, both home and road since they came out in 2012. I see every game that's on MASN and I saw 6 home games in April, but this logo appearance hasn't lurched out at me till tonight. But seeing it tonight, it really appeared to me that the cartoon bird is larger now. I looked at several sites from a Google search (the ones that track such things) and I haven't noticed anything tracked there. Anyone else notice this?

I'm not good at estimating, but it looks maybe 15% bigger if not more. The giveaway was that the bird looks about a quarter inch or more closer to the bill, yet it fills up the face much better. I have a screen grab below of Hardy wearing it from tonight and a shot of mine in the living room (with Maybelle the dog). I like this look if this is not my eyes deceiving me. I have Sunday's game on DVR, so I may be able to see how the home cap looks as well.

Oriolescapcompare.jpg

I have one from 2012 or 2013 and my cap appears to be the same as the one in the picture of Hardy. Your cap doesn't appear to be the on-field cap--the on-field caps don't have the New Era flag logo. The cartoon bird logo on your cap is also different from my cap in that mine is completely embroidered or stitched, including the bird's beak, and it appears from the image that yours is not.

I have the all black version but Hardy's looks bigger than mine too.

OOC Thread...

I'm such a freak that I'd probably buy that upside down cartoon bird cap (if there were one) that someone pointed out last week. Upside down, it looks strangely like Woody Woodpecker.

I have one from 2012 or 2013 and my cap appears to be the same as the one in the picture of Hardy. Your cap doesn't appear to be the on-field cap--the on-field caps don't have the New Era flag logo. The cartoon bird logo on your cap is also different from my cap in that mine is completely embroidered or stitched, including the bird's beak, and it appears from the image that yours is not.

I checked, you're right. This one is the 47 one. I asked my wife to pull it off the wall behind us as we were watching. I just went back to the bedroom (she's sleeping now and couldn't get a photo) and did a quick comparison and the New Era 59 / Fifty one is just a tad larger. But it still doesn't appear as large as the one they're wearing tonight.

I checked, you're right. This one is the 47 one. I asked my wife to pull it off the wall behind us as we were watching. I just went back to the bedroom (she's sleeping now and couldn't get a photo) and did a quick comparison and the New Era 59 / Fifty one is just a tad larger. But it still doesn't appear as large as the one they're wearing tonight.

Mine is a 47.

Here's my 59Fifty Authentic On-Field Cap for comparison:

http://imgur.com/0xg0Lgs

http://imgur.com/GAUX2Gp

And one with the home cap too:

http://imgur.com/7K0LIqu

I can't tell. Hardy's logo might be slightly larger but it might be a perspective thing. Not sure...

The Orioles laughing bird logo WAS patterned after Woody Woodpecker. The artist also created " snap, crackle, and pop" and was given a one time fee of $100 for the Oriole logo in 1966.Its generated millions of dollars.By far, their best logo ever.

Fascinating. I didn't realize that about Woody. I knew the Snap, Crackle and Pop connection, but not this. I can't get my hands onto that thread at the moment, but it was eerie seeing the logo upside down.

Here's my on field version of the road cap. It does look a shade bigger than my 47, but not as large as the one they're wearing now. I'm rarely pictured in this one, took awhile to fine one. I usually wear the '75 orange panel replica, an old repro of the early 70s one or a strange corduroy billed one I found early this year at the Orioles store.

Trembleycap2.jpg

Mystery solved. Thanks, Stevie45085 and notfast

Btw, here's the thread about how the upside down cartoon bird logo strongly recalls Woody Woodpecker.

Except that I'm not sure. I considered the low crown version, but I don't think J.J. wears it. For comparison purposes, Ichiro is famous for always wearing it. Notice how the logo seems to take up the entire front of the cap

image.JPGSeattle+Mariners+Photo+Day+-621648DpMQl.jpg4570.png&w=350&h=254

Except that I'm not sure. I considered the low crown version, but I don't think J.J. wears it. For comparison purposes, Ichiro is famous for always wearing it. Notice how the logo seems to take up the entire front of the cap

image.JPGSeattle+Mariners+Photo+Day+-621648DpMQl.jpg4570.png&w=350&h=254

Ichiro's cap looks so tight on his head that you can see the sweatband lines along the side. I wonder if he's like me and has such a small noggin' that he has to get the smallest adult size offered or instead a child sized cap? My 7 year old daughter and I wear the same size.

I've had the "new" cartoon bird cap, both home and road since they came out in 2012. I see every game that's on MASN and I saw 6 home games in April, but this logo appearance hasn't lurched out at me till tonight. But seeing it tonight, it really appeared to me that the cartoon bird is larger now. I looked at several sites from a Google search (the ones that track such things) and I haven't noticed anything tracked there. Anyone else notice this?

I'm not good at estimating, but it looks maybe 15% bigger if not more. The giveaway was that the bird looks about a quarter inch or more closer to the bill, yet it fills up the face much better. I have a screen grab below of Hardy wearing it from tonight and a shot of mine in the living room (with Maybelle the dog). I like this look if this is not my eyes deceiving me. I have Sunday's game on DVR, so I may be able to see how the home cap looks as well.

Oriolescapcompare.jpg

That should be our home cap, lose the white panel ASAP.

Archived