Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well than you and I agree. He would never consider a Qualifying offer to take that chance.

Well, a healthy 2016 could also net him 4/80 with an option for year 5. I'm not sure why you believe Wieters would prefer to lock himself into second division money for his only shot at a big deal.

Also, I'm not trying to convince you; I realize this is theater.

Well, a healthy 2016 could also net him 4/80 with an option for year 5.

I'm not trying to convince you; I realize this is theater.

Big gamble for someone who has never really cashed in. Heck, he could turn the QO down and then take a one 15 from anyone if he can't find what he wants. Anyone would pay that. To take the chance. And to get the pick when he signs. When he leaves. The next year. If he can stay healthy. And he wants to gamble his entire future.

Well, a healthy 2016 could also net him 4/80 with an option for year 5. I'm not sure why you believe Wieters would prefer to lock himself into second division money for his only shot at a big deal.

Also, I'm not trying to convince you; I realize this is theater.

I absolutely believe this. Absolutely. I absolutely believe the chances of Matt staying healthy through Oct and accepting a QO are infinitesimally small. Will you give me that?

Big gamble for someone who has never really cashed in. Heck, he could turn the QO down and then take a one 15 from anyone if he can't find what he wants. Anyone would pay that. To take the chance. And to get the pick when he signs. When he leaves. The next year. If he can stay healthy. And he wants to gamble his entire future.

Bolded is not true.

Again, I don't think it's likely he accepts a QO. I think absolutist thinking is wrong-headed. What does the market say? What other catchers are available. Who is looking for a catcher?

I would think so. But I think he could definitely get 3/$45 MM next year with a healthy 2016 and $17 MM in his pocket to boot.

I think you are underestimating both what he will get, and the security of a long term deal to a bout to turn 30 year old catcher.

Taking a one year deal would be a huuuge risk, imo. Right now (well, in a few months) Boras can sell him as a switch hitting catcher whose last 3 full seasons lead to :4.4, 3.9, and 2.6 fWAR. Then he got injured and it affected him for two seasons, but he will be 100% healthy heading into 2016, and his injury is not likely to reoccur for a catcher.

If he comes back under a 1 year deal in 2016 and has a sub par year or god forbid and injury, well now you are looking at a catcher with three straight crappy injury plagued seasons on the wrong side of 30.

I absolutely believe this. Absolutely. I absolutely believe the chances of Matt staying healthy through Oct and accepting a QO are infinitesimally small. Will you give me that?

I already said I don't think it's likely he accepts a QO. If healthy and reasonably productive over the final month, of course the odds become even longer he would accept. Absolutely.

I already said I don't think it's likely he accepts a QO. If healthy and reasonably productive over the final month, of course the odds become even longer he would accept. Absolutely.

Then we agree on everything. Except the two teams that would not pay Matt 15 million to take a shot on a compensation pick.

I think you are underestimating both what he will get, and the security of a long term deal to a bout to turn 30 year old catcher.

Taking a one year deal would be a huuuge risk, imo. Right now (well, in a few months) Boras can sell him as a switch hitting catcher whose last 3 full seasons lead to :4.4, 3.9, and 2.6 fWAR. Then he got injured and it affected him for two seasons, but he will be 100% healthy heading into 2016, and his injury is not likely to reoccur for a catcher.

If he comes back under a 1 year deal in 2016 and has a sub par year or god forbid and injury, well now you are looking at a catcher with three straight crappy injury plagued seasons on the wrong side of 30.

This paints me as if I'm arguing against extending a QO. I'm not. I'm arguing against the mentality that QOs are no brainers when Boras is involved. Wieters is a borderline case right now. September matters. The market matters.

This paints me as if I'm arguing against extending a QO. I'm not. I'm arguing against the mentality that QOs are no brainers when Boras is involved. Wieters is a borderline case right now. September matters. The market matters.

I am not necessarily stating that Boras is the only reason either. I think the fact that it has never been done and a new contract is being negotiated are FAR more compelling reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
An interesting discussion. I still think it is virtually impossible how any GM does not offer Matt a QO. And, if he takes it, I will be very, very, very surprised. On the order of surprised as if the Orioles win the division at this point.

Looking at the upcoming free agent list for catchers & the fact he is represented by Boras, I would be shocked if Wieters accepts a QO. Rumor is even the Chief, Geronimo Gil is looking to re-enter the free agency class. I still remember his game winning sac fly against the M's, what a beast.

Alex Avila

Chris Iannetta

John Jaso

Jeff Mathis

Dioner Navarro

Brayan Pena

A.J. Pierzynski

Matt Wieters

http://www.masnsports.com/byron-kerr/2015/09/will-the-nationals-go-after-wieters-in-free-agency.html

Archived