Is this the O's hitting philosophy in this quote?

NashLumber

There was a time, that the strike zone was thin, and a walk before your steroid abusers was a definitive style point. Those days are gone. Now, the only ones they walk are your steroid abusers. If you can't hit 30 bombs, you won't draw a walk.

Good points.

The game has definitely changed the past few years.

Power is down and in great demand, there really is no reason for these pitchers not to be aggressive early in the count.

In turn, the hitters need to be aggressive as well.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's batters are aggressive. They swing at hittable pitches and they swing at unhittable pitches. They swing at just about everything. Must be in a hurry to end this season. To swing at any good pitch to hit is wise. Execution of this strategy by O's batters is pathetic.

O's batters are aggressive. They swing at hittable pitches and they swing at unhittable pitches. They swing at just about everything. Must be in a hurry to end this season. To swing at any good pitch to hit is wise. Execution of this strategy by O's batters is pathetic.

And you think they recognize the pitches as unhittable and swing anyway?

And you think they recognize the pitches as unhittable and swing anyway?

It sounds like he does.

Well, some O's hitters do look like they make up their minds to swing. Before the ball has even left the pitchers hand.

Not saying who. But when you swing at pitches that didn't even start out as a strike. That is about the only conclusion I can come up with.

Well, some O's hitters do look like they make up their minds to swing. Before the ball has even left the pitchers hand.

Not saying who. But when you swing at pitches that didn't even start out as a strike. That is about the only conclusion I can come up with.

But even then it looks more like a flawed strategy then it does actively sabotaging ones effort.

IMO, the ones that do this are most likely "guess hitting."

My bet is that every team has players who will do this on a situational basis.

They are going to look bad when they guess wrong, but when they guess right they will drive the ball more often than not.

They are going to look bad when they guess wrong, but when they guess right they will drive the ball more often than not.

With power at an absolute premium these days, guess hitting and high leg kicks are a legitimate strategy. Especially if you have film rooms with high definition spy equipment and miniaturized ear pieces for your batters at home.

With power at an absolute premium these days, guess hitting and high leg kicks are a legitimate strategy. Especially if you have film rooms with high definition spy equipment and miniaturized ear pieces for your batters at home.

Hmm!? Makes me think of a team that has an entire country for a fan base. Now there is a real unfair advantage.

But even with guess hitting as it were. You are guessing speed and swinging at something that at least should start out as a strike. That I can see happening.

Otherwise it's just PPPD.

But even with guess hitting as it were. You are guessing speed and swinging at something that at least should start out as a strike. That I can see happening.

Otherwise it's just PPPD.

If the hitter is guessing fastball and the pitcher throws a slider, it will look like it's a fastball in the strike zone before it breaks.

It's one of the drawbacks to the strategy, but as Weams alludes to in his post, the positives can result in a jack.

The difference is when you lack pitch recognition. If you're a bunch of hackers, you're going to get out because of your aggression. Getting ahead in the count is very advantageous. What I hate is when a guy walks a batter...and the immediate next hitter swings at the first pitch. Or a reliever comes in, and you're swinging first pitch. Guess what? Give your team a chance to track the pitcher. I feel that the O's get out because of their aggression whereas the teams we face don't get out because they're selectively aggressive. There's a subtle difference there.

Archived