The Red Sox seem pretty well set up for 2016

Frobby

While we are battling to stay ahead of the Red Sox at the end of the season, I must say, I think that team is looking pretty good down the road. Despite the idiotic contracts to Ramirez, Sandoval and Porcello, their 2016 payroll situation doesn't look too bad because of all the pre-arb guys on their roster, including Betts, Bradley, Bogaerts, Holt, Swihart, EdRod, and Owens. The only free agents they have are Ortiz, Buchholz ($13 mm option with a $245 k buyout), Breslow and Rich Hill. There's no reason they can't acquire a top pitcher or two and be in a position to contend next season.

While we are battling to stay ahead of the Red Sox at the end of the season, I must say, I think that team is looking pretty good down the road. Despite the idiotic contracts to Ramirez, Sandoval and Porcello, their 2016 payroll situation doesn't look too bad because of all the pre-arb guys on their roster, including Betts, Bradley, Bogaerts, Holt, Swihart, EdRod, and Owens. The only free agents they have are Ortiz, Buchholz ($13 mm option with a $245 k buyout), Breslow and Rich Hill. There's no reason they can't acquire a top pitcher or two and be in a position to contend next season.

They also have lots in the pipeline to flip for players via trade. Cherrington didn't come through with the 25-man, but he sure did a nice job continuing to build the foundation.

Archived