Qualifying Offer Value Set At $17.2MM

wildcard

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would only offer a QO to Davis and Wieters.

Chen isn't worth 15.8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither is Wieners on a one year deal. The QO isn't about whether they are worth it, it's about whether taking that deal and going for another next year is worth more AAV than the multi year deal they would get this year, factoring in the risk of injury or bad performance next year.

I would extend it all of them.

The premium would have to be really big to get me to live in Houston.

That's probably what all other fan bases say about Baltimore.

Honestly it's not a bad place to live, unless you just can't tolerate the heat. There have been plenty of high-profile athletes who have hand-picked Houston as their destination of choice (mostly NBA players, though)

Chen isn't worth 15.8

1.218 WHIP 3.34 ERA 191 innings. He's the leader on the team in all 3 for starters. How much do you think its going to cost to replace that?

You think Chris Jones is ready after 9 years in the minors to step in and generate those numbers for the league minimum? How about 30 year old career MiLer Eddie Gamboa? After 4 years in AAA you think he's ready to step in and give the team 191 innings next year?

How much is your #1 starter worth? Don't think Chen is all that? He's probably not, but you need someone at the top and have Chen as a solid #3 on a Championship team.

All three have to receive offers. I don't see how you can justify not offering at minimum.

What's the saying? No such thing as a bad one-year deal? If for some reason any one of them accepts the offer (which they won't), then you have that position locked up next year and can focus elsewhere.

As has been stated before in this thread, we don't want another Markakis situation where we lose a valuable piece without compensation.

Just tell Boras that if Matt takes the QO, they will not attempt to sign Davis and Matt will play 1B all season.

And Boras will raise his middle finger and say "Fine, I can still get a multi-year deal for rested and fully-healed catcher Matt Wieters in 2017 from some sucker and you were never going to spend what I'm charging for Davis anyway. Sorry you blew up your budget for Wieters when you could have gotten the same production at 1B from Pearce. See ya around the neighborhood and, oh by the way, I don't do linkage, I wouldn't have any clients if I did."

That's probably what all other fan bases say about Baltimore.

Honestly it's not a bad place to live, unless you just can't tolerate the heat. There have been plenty of high-profile athletes who have hand-picked Houston as their destination of choice (mostly NBA players, though)

My post comes off harsh. I visited Houston last year and just didn't like it. If I had a job offer that paid 10-15% more to relocate there, I'd turn it down. Taste and preferences I guess. I did like Rice's campus though.

Speaking of Houston, Rasmus will get a QO, right?

I think Id re-sign Pearce. When healthy he was starting to drive the ball. He might've had 30 HR with a full season of at bats.I just don't know how much money he is asking.

He'll get a raise but I don't think he's in a position to ask for anything exorbitant. He's a worthwhile gamble IMO, I hope to see him back.

I think Id re-sign Pearce. When healthy he was starting to drive the ball. He might've had 30 HR with a full season of at bats.I just don't know how much money he is asking.

I don't think its realistic to project a full season for a 33 year old journeyman who has only had more than 300 at bats once in his 9 year major league career.

All three have to receive offers. I don't see how you can justify not offering at minimum.

What's the saying? No such thing as a bad one-year deal? If for some reason any one of them accepts the offer (which they won't), then you have that position locked up next year and can focus elsewhere.

As has been stated before in this thread, we don't want another Markakis situation where we lose a valuable piece without compensation.

I agree. With all of this.

It seems crazy to me that we're even considering not QOing Wieters. He's easily worth 16 million for 1 year if he's healthy, so its not like theres a lot of risk involved. Theres no such thing as a bad 1 year contract.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25333950/qualifying-offer-set-at-158-million-which-free-agents-will-get-one

CBS did a list of the 13 "locks" to get a QO and they do have Wieters on there, for what its worth.

If I am a GM and I am in doubt, I am going to offer QOs until somebody, somewhere in MLB actually takes one. And, even after somebody does take one, if they are a Scott Boras client, I will keep offering QOs to his clients until one of HIS clients actually takes one. We absolutely should have offered Markakis a QO last year. That was a definite mistake (among many others) by DD last year and a number of us said so at the time. You can't really build a great farm system if you just blow off draft picks. No way Matt takes a QO and we will only lose the draft pick if we don't offer him.

If I am a GM and I am in doubt, I am going to offer QOs until somebody, somewhere in MLB actually takes one. And, even after somebody does take one, if they are a Scott Boras client, I will keep offering QOs to his clients until one of HIS clients actually takes one. We absolutely should have offered Markakis a QO last year. That was a definite mistake (among many others) by DD last year and a number of us said so at the time. You can't really build a great farm system if you just blow off draft picks. No way Matt takes a QO and we will only lose the draft pick if we don't offer him.

Quality post.

Archived