The Davis solution - Byung-ho Park

Roll Tide

I would assume he will get fewer walks as he'll be facing much better pitching in a much more stingy run environment. It depends somewhat on type of hitter, but walk rate certainly declines on promotion from lower levels.

He's walked 75-95 times each of the last four years and been HBP 10 times or more each of the last two years.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's walked 75-95 times each of the last four years and been HBP 10 times or more each of the last two years.

Yep, and I'd expect that rate to go down by maybe 30% in the majors. So in full-time play he might walk 50-60 times. Navarro has a MLB walk rate of 7%, a minor league rate in the neighborhood of 10%, and a 15% rate in KBO.

Kang's last year in Korea he hit .356 with 40 homers and slugged .739. He had 68 walks in 499 PAs (14%). With the Pirates he hit .287, slugged .461, and walked in 6% of his plate appearances - meaning his walk rate declined by more than half. His ISO went from .383 (in other words, Babe Ruth) to .173 (a bit better than Caleb Joseph). Interestingly, Kang's strikeout rate didn't really change.

How about Ah-Seop Son? Left fielder, left handed, high OBP. Not a Davis replacement by any stretch of the imagination and won't be a power hitter but could be useful and cheap. I don't like the idea of putting a lot of resources into another big right handed bat. The O's need more balance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=son---000ah-&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

How about Ah-Seop Son? Left fielder, left handed, high OBP. Not a Davis replacement by any stretch of the imagination and won't be a power hitter but could be useful and cheap. I don't like the idea of putting a lot of resources into another big right handed bat. The O's need more balance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=son---000ah-&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

As long as you're counting on him being much more De Aza than Davis I'm potentially in for a reasonable (<$10M total) cost. My guess is that he hits .250ish with less than 10 homers and about 30-40 walks in full-time play. Value would depend on defense.

He's a 29 YO feasting on A level pitching. How do you translate that to facing MLB SP?

Who knows, but at some point you have to pick a guy you like or simply write off an entire market. If you don't like the lack of transparency in the Dominican, then try somewhere else. Presumably we have some scouts capable of watching these guys and making an educated guess.

Another thing to think about: he led the KBO in strikeouts by 26. He had 161, the next guy had 135. 78 walks to go with the 161 Ks. Yamaico Navarro had 48 homers, 93 walks, 78 Ks.

Could Navarro play 1B? I am kidding. Half-kidding, at least.

Who knows, but at some point you have to pick a guy you like or simply write off an entire market. If you don't like the lack of transparency in the Dominican, then try somewhere else. Presumably we have some scouts capable of watching these guys and making an educated guess.

Save the team's payroll and just use the OH for their scouting reports. :):):)

As long as you're counting on him being much more De Aza than Davis I'm potentially in for a reasonable (<$10M total) cost. My guess is that he hits .250ish with less than 10 homers and about 30-40 walks in full-time play. Value would depend on defense.

Definitely more De Aza than Davis. If he can keep up a high walk rate then you could have a potential lead off guy. Right now we have Reimold, who should be considered the backup plan at the moment.

I brought him up before.He is supposedly a plus defender. Also he is left handed.

Could Navarro play 1B? I am kidding. Half-kidding, at least.

Navarro could hit. He just had no defense.

Archived