Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I think it might be more of a gamble for him to take it.

I don't buy the idea that he could not get a similar deal or better later. Especially if there is deferred money involved.

Maybe I am biased. Personally I am not the biggest fan of sinking 150 million dollars into Davis. I am even less of a fan of having to pay him that much for 7 years. Guys like Davis tend to age badly.

Prefer Heyward, Gordon or Upton depending on the years/terms.

But what does the bolded passage mean? Who are guys like Davis?

Do high-strikeout guys age poorly? I don't know. The primary driver of aging out of the league is current performance. But what is Davis' current level of performance? Over the past four years he's been anywhere from MVP-ish to near-zero. Can you really use a normal rule of thumb of a weighted average (say 3.5 wins), declining at a regular pace?

Guys with old players skills tend to age relatively poorly, but is that really Davis? He's not really maxed out on the bad end of the defensive spectrum just yet, he can sort of play an outfield corner. He's not totally an old, slow, rake-and-take guy. He's shown what I consider almost remarkable growth in his walk rate.

I'm not bullish on Davis, I think any long-term deal for him is potentially catastrophic. But he is hard to characterize. He might be the outlier.

The Angels are receiving the most hits on lefty Hector Santiago, MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports on Twitter. He certainly represents an interesting chip after putting up 180 2/3 innings of 3.59 ERA pitching last year. The Orioles are among “many” clubs that have inquired on Santiago, Heyman tweets

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/west-notes-giants-gordon-giles-santiago-wilson-rangers-dbacks-padres.html

But what does the bolded passage mean? Who are guys like Davis?

Do high-strikeout guys age poorly? I don't know. The primary driver of aging out of the league is current performance. But what is Davis' current level of performance? Over the past four years he's been anywhere from MVP-ish to near-zero. Can you really use a normal rule of thumb of a weighted average (say 3.5 wins), declining at a regular pace?

Guys with old players skills tend to age relatively poorly, but is that really Davis? He's not really maxed out on the bad end of the defensive spectrum just yet, he can sort of play an outfield corner. He's not totally an old, slow, rake-and-take guy. He's shown what I consider almost remarkable growth in his walk rate.

I'm not bullish on Davis, I think any long-term deal for him is potentially catastrophic. But he is hard to characterize. He might be the outlier.

All this seems fair. He is different than many of the power hitting 1B we have seen in the past.

Maybe it is not fair, perhaps 2014 is that outlier year in his career where it all went wrong for him but a part of me suspects that the line between CD being a very very productive and being an albatross is a good bit thinner than some others. Obviously all these deals are risky though. I am likely looking at this in a biased fashion, I am not a fan spending that type of money on him, I guess I just prefer other guys to him.

The Angels are receiving the most hits on lefty Hector Santiago, MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports on Twitter. He certainly represents an interesting chip after putting up 180 2/3 innings of 3.59 ERA pitching last year. The Orioles are among “many” clubs that have inquired on Santiago, Heyman tweets

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/west-notes-giants-gordon-giles-santiago-wilson-rangers-dbacks-padres.html

He scares the bejesus out of me. You think our guys now are flyball pitchers lord this guy makes them all look like Britton.

Orioles are in on Carlos Gonzalez
via Jon Heyman

That isn't what he said.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Carlos Gonzalez's name is getting out there as possible trade candidate now. Teams seeking OF bat: o's, giants, royals, cardinals, etc.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That isn't what he said.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Carlos Gonzalez's name is getting out there as possible trade candidate now. Teams seeking OF bat: o's, giants, royals, cardinals, etc.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

Rox want pitching, lots of it for Cargo. Cargo would be a great Oriole, I just don't see this as a good match.

That isn't what he said.

Speculation..................Nothing to see here

Don't see Cargo being a good fit. Injury concerns. Coors field concerns. Plus we have a thin farm system. If we don't get Davis, I'd rather have Upton and the prospects it would take to get Cargo. I don't think Cargo and the difference between 15 slots in the draft is worth it.

He is healthy, showed that the last half of last season, and his bat would be perfect for OPACY, a lefty who drives the ball. I've watched this kid for his whole career and he really would be an amazing fit, but the O's just don't have the pitching to spare.

-Don

Archived