L. J. Hoes Goes back to O's

xian4

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hoes, who is unsigned this offseason, just got suspended 50 games for a second offense of testing positive for a "drug of abuse."   The suspension doesn't start until he signs with a team.     Sounds like his career is about over.

So much for giving up 2 solid prospects for Bud. :)

Well, I do think Hoes was considered significant at the time. He was the no. 6 prospect in the system per Tony at the time (behind Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, Delmonico and EdRod).   Hader was ranked right behind him.     Sickels had Hoes 8th and Hader not in the top 20.    Now, those were through the 2012 season and Hader had shown a lot of progress in 2013, but Hoes also was having a very solid year at Norfolk (.304/.406/.403), and Houston gave him a lot of playing time in the two months after he was acquired.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hoes, who is unsigned this offseason, just got suspended 50 games for a second offense of testing positive for a "drug of abuse."   The suspension doesn't start until he signs with a team.     Sounds like his career is about over.

Players are not tested on the 40 man, shame he could never hold a roster spot.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I do think Hoes was considered significant at the time. He was the no. 6 prospect in the system per Tony at the time (behind Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, Delmonico and EdRod).   Hader was ranked right behind him.     Sickels had Hoes 8th and Hader not in the top 20.    Now, those were through the 2012 season and Hader had shown a lot of progress in 2013, but Hoes also was having a very solid year at Norfolk (.304/.406/.403), and Houston gave him a lot of playing time in the two months after he was acquired.

Do you recall anyone being upset at the time about losing Hoes?  I honestly don't.  I mean I guess someone was unhappy because that is inevitable but not to a significant degree.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone being upset about losing Hoes.  It was Hader and the first round draft pick.

I'm getting older, and my memory isn't what it once was, as my wife often reminds me when she remembers something differently than I.   xD  Having said that, I remember this differently than you.  As I recall, there was considerably more outcry at the time to losing Hoes than Hader.  There were some folks sad to see the local boy traded away, but the real baseball-based complaining about trading Hader came later, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, as I recall.   Again, that is just how I remember it and I could well be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I'm getting older, and my memory isn't what it once was, as my wife often reminds me when she remembers something differently than I.   xD  Having said that, I remember this differently than you.  As I recall, there was considerably more outcry at the time to losing Hoes than Hader.  There were some folks sad to see the local boy traded away, but the real baseball-based complaining about trading Hader came later, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, as I recall.   Again, that is just how I remember it and I could well be wrong.

Or I could be projecting since I was more upset about Hader and the pick.

I could dig out the thread but honestly I don't care that much.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you recall anyone being upset at the time about losing Hoes?  I honestly don't.  I mean I guess someone was unhappy because that is inevitable but not to a significant degree.

My recollection is (1) opinion was pretty evenly divided as to whether it was a good trade, and (2) those against mostly thought that the whole package was a bit too rich.     I don't think either player was considered untouchable, but to give up both and a high pick bothered some people.    

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hoes always seemed like he should have hit more in the major leagues. I think his lack of power started to dwell on him and it hurt his hit tool overall. BTW, Delmonico is a non-roster invitee to the White Sox spring training this year and has had quite the resurgence in his career. He still might end up with a major league career.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My recollection is that Hader was the surprise give away in that package.   A 19 year old lefthander that looked very interesting.   Hoes had never showed any power.   I had soured on both he and Avery at the time of the trade.

I was told Houston would not do the deal without Hader involved. They were that high on him. 

Archived