Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

Look at Pat Neshek. They compare pretty well. Neshek signed a 2/13mil with a club option for another 6.5mil. He signed this deal at 34 years old. This is the low end of O'Day's market. I think if we were to offer O'Day a 3 year deal, it would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 3/18-22 mil.

Now if he hits the market, I could easily see this going up to 3/25. Which is why I think it's most important to lock him up now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at Pat Neshek. They compare pretty well. Neshek signed a 2/13mil with a club option for another 6.5mil. He signed this deal at 34 years old. This is the low end of O'Day's market. I think if we were to offer O'Day a 3 year deal, it would have to be somewhere in the ballpark of 3/18-22 mil.

Exactly. And maybe more, because O'Day is a little younger and his track record is a little better.

I think it will take more than 3-21 to keep O'Day here, just my opinion, watching these GM and how high they are willing to go for solid relievers.

O'Day likes it here, so maybe if DD get's in the range of what he is offering, he takes a bit of a discount to stay here.

I think it will take more than 3-21 to keep O'Day here, just my opinion, watching these GM and how high they are willing to go for solid relievers.

O'Day likes it here, so maybe if DD get's in the range of what he is offering, he takes a bit of a discount to stay here.

I'm sure O'Day likes it here now. What about next year? What if we do lose Wieters and Davis and don't get any returns. Then we lose Chen and Norris. If that happens, what are our chances of contending next year? Would O'Day want to come back if he knew our chances were not great of competing?

I'm not saying this as a matter of fact. More as just a "what if" scenario.

O'Day is every bit as good as Miller, having them, was fantastic.

Not able to keep both, didn't break the pen.

They are preforming pretty dang good, with an ERA of 3.10.

Losing O'Day, and not having a replacement equivant, will hurt.

Except I still get nervous whenever I watch O'Day face a lefty.

I'm sure O'Day likes it here now. What about next year? What if we do lose Wieters and Davis and don't get any returns. Then we lose Chen and Norris. If that happens, what are our chances of contending next year? Would O'Day want to come back if he knew our chances were not great of competing?

I'm not saying this as a matter of fact. More as just a "what if" scenario.

Losing Davis, might be addition by subtraction.

You look at the pluses, you still got AJ, you got the younger stars like Manny and Schoop.

you got a lights out closer

Now throw in the younger arms and maybe a couple of the younger guys in AAA now, and maybe this team isn't as deadbeat some fear.

One of my favorite moments this season was when O'Day pitched out of the bases loaded-no out jam against Tampa.

The one thing in favor of re-signing him, which is also his weakness, is his historical splits vs LHB. Much better last year, but it's back this year. Combined with his unorthodox style and lack of velocity, nobody is going to pay him closer money since he is much more valuable as a matchup guy.

I would love to get him back if we can afford it. Way more valuable than Matusz and Hunter combined, if that's what it comes down to.

I would do my best to extend/re-sign him, even at the risk of giving him 9+ million a year.

I know some in OH, feel that relievers are fickle and fragile.

O'Day has been strong the whole time here.

Not the whole time. He did wear down towards the end of last year. But at least has come back strong this year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Love O'Day and what he's done here, but I think we can spend that money better elsewhere, especially since we have a lot of guys stashed in Norfolk right now.

Next year we're probably going to need a new outfielder, a catcher, and a DH/first baseman.

3/$21, I do it. O'Day already doesn't blow people away with velocity or anything -- he does it by confusing batters with unorthodox delivery and movement. I think that will translate well into his 30s or even early 40s.

Please please don't let this be a jinx :pray:

I like O'Day, but getting attached to a player like this and giving 7,8, or 9 million a year would not be the best use of resources. If they had a budget like Boston or New York, go for it, but the Orioles can't spend money on a reliever and then watch the C, 1B, decent starter and what ever else go.

Archived