Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with all of this. Love O'Day but I don't see another extension being smart money.

The context here is that we'll have a catcher, first baseman, two starting pitchers, three relievers and two corner OF's who will be free agents, at least one non-tender candidate reliever, and three players due for sizeable arbitration raises. Decisions about the best way to deploy the available resources are going to be especially complex this time around.

Then you do not want to resign him. He will get Three minimum. Sorry.
I have no problem with this. The O's can still get corner outfielders with the rest of their money. I'm not saying that we need to resign every reliever that is heading into free agency. But to have a philosophy of FA Reliever = Let Him Walk is a knee-jerk reaction that the team doesn't need. We can't develop a stable, quality bullpen if every reliever is relegated to Let Him Walk status once they hit free agency. These days, quality relievers are more important than in earlier years because starters don't go as far into the game as they used to. I remember several games where a starter would be taken out with a comfortable lead, only to have a reliever come in and allow the opponent to catch up. Of course, even the best reliever will not have his good stuff each and every time. But the percentage when someone like O'Day comes in and slams the door results in more wins for the team. So a quality fireman is an important element for a team. So their market value will increase as more teams realize this and compete for the available players. This is part of the game and O's management shouldn't simply concede on all of their FA relievers and allow each one to walk. Believe me, Angelos can certainly afford it.

Believe me, Angelos can certainly afford it.

I assume you have some insider information regarding this. In terms of the Orioles budget, a setup man making 9 million a year for three years is a very large investment in what I assume will be a modest budget until media rights are resolved.

I assume you have some insider information regarding this. In terms of the Orioles budget, a setup man making 9 million a year for three years is a very large investment in what I assume will be a modest budget until media rights are resolved.

Do you think the budget (not what they actually spend) will go down significantly in 2016?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived