Has Chris Carter set Pedro Alvarez's market price?

wildcard

[A.J. Reed] doesn't have an at-bat yet in Triple-A, so don't be surprised to see him start in Fresno and reach Houston at some point, especially if the Jon Singleton-Matt Duffy-Tyler White triumvirate isn't working out.

This speaks volumes about the value of Chris Carter. With Singleton/Duffy/White as their alternative, the Astros non-tendered Carter.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So an agent can never represent two free agents who play the same position at the same time, right? Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. If Alvarez doesn't feel his interests are being served, he can change agents.

I am not saying there is a good solution, just that it is a conflict of interest, and yes, if I am Alvarez I am getting another agent.

One could argue, Trumbo platoon with Pedro Alvarez for $15 million for just one year is the wise financial investement vs Chris Davis at 7/150.

Alvarez career OPS vs RHP: .794

Trumbo career OPS vs LHP: .824

Chris Davis career OPS: .835 (albeit with high variance)

Trumbo is not a slouch vs RHP so he certainly wouldn't be in a pure platoon, he is the everyday 1B.

Justin Upton career OPS: .825 (low variance) and plus defense

One could certainly argue a wiser use of money is sign Upton as your everyday LF for the foreseeable future. Make that your big investment.

Sign Pedro Alvarez on something short term, say 1/5 or 2/8 and use him primarily as a LH platoon DH who plays some OF/3B/1B when necessity requires it.

Trumbo is your regular 1B and sometimes DH for 2016 at $9 million.

On the other hand Trumbo + Davis saves a roster spot and should produce more SLG and dingers while sacrificing some outfield defense.

OR :vader: Angelos just goes all in and signs Davis AND Upton and we all dance in the streets until both those contracts are in year 6 and we decide to follow DC United to save our sanity.

I am sure he will do the bare minimum to fulfill his legal and professional obligations, but there is a reason that people have to recuse themselves in every other walk of life when they have a conflict of interest, and there certainly is a conflict here.

Yeah, the way this market is shaping up, perhaps Boras will be made to look like, well, a "Borass" if he can't get the big money for his guys. But he always seems to land on his feet.

Didn't say that at all. Trumbo, by stats, has value at 1B. He's worth 8-9M at 1B if the defensive metrics are correct. Not sure what you mean by the Travis Snider line.

I thought you were implying that he was like Travis Snider at 1b because of him being overpaid and being not very good. My bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Orioles will resign Chris Davis and put together last year's team, with a worse rotation, for a lot more money. Some people will call that a good off season.

It would not be a very good offseason, IMO. But it doesn't mean that we couldn't contend in 2016, if the breaks go our way. The rotation could do better even though it's worse on paper. The corner OF mix might work better than last year's disaster, where nothing Duquette did worked out.

In short, I won't get despondent no matter what happens this offseason. But there are some signs I don't like, either in the short or the long term.

We can make the argument of anything is possible and if everything goes right. You could say that of about 27 other teams. Unfortunately, an 81 win season that we had to scramble for was not of enough red flag for the team or a lot of the fans. It will take a 74-78 win season this year to convince anyone we are heading in the wrong direction once again.

I don't think "everything" needs to go right. More things need to go right than wrong.

I'm not crazy about the team's direction, but sometimes things happen that change the picture. My biggest issue with the team is that the farm system still isn't producing enough talent.

It would not be a very good offseason, IMO. But it doesn't mean that we couldn't contend in 2016, if the breaks go our way. The rotation could do better even though it's worse on paper. The corner OF mix might work better than last year's disaster, where nothing Duquette did worked out.

In short, I won't get despondent no matter what happens this offseason. But there are some signs I don't like, either in the short or the long term.

Remember, to most people a plan that didn't work was a bad plan. Full stop. Even if more-or-less the same plan worked previously.

We can make the argument of anything is possible and if everything goes right. You could say that of about 27 other teams. Unfortunately, an 81 win season that we had to scramble for was not of enough red flag for the team or a lot of the fans. It will take a 74-78 win season this year to convince anyone we are heading in the wrong direction once again.

You seem convinced. Many were convinced this team was heading in a horrible direction last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before.

Remember, to most people a plan that didn't work was a bad plan. Full stop. Even if more-or-less the same plan worked previously.

I feel that way about people's criticism of Duqette's corner OF moves last offseason. They didn't work, therefore they were idiotic. But in truth, they were reasonable moves that carried risk, and they didn't work out.

Sometimes you get Steve Pearce 2014, other times you get Travis Snider 2015. This time next year we could be lauding the Worley and Kim acquisitions, or we could be lampooning them.

I am sure he will do the bare minimum to fulfill his legal and professional obligations, but there is a reason that people have to recuse themselves in every other walk of life when they have a conflict of interest, and there certainly is a conflict here.

If I were Alvarez, I would consider changing agents because of this particular situation, but your claim that the agent must recuse himself in all other walks of life is false. An insurance agent handles both claims if two of his clients are involved in an auto accident. A real estate agent can be both a buying and selling agent on a sale of property. And, most similar to this case, an entertainment agent can represent two actors that are vying for the same part in a movie or play.

I know the off season is over half complete but its still early for Dan. He signs guys late. He trades late. If the O's add a big bats and a decent starting pitcher they will be a contender.

Then they will have replaced Parades at DH with either Trumbo or Alvarez, Kim is a question but could very well be a good OBP man in left. Wieters, and Schoop will probably have better years. Tillman and Gonzalez have a two and a half year history that says they are better than 2015.

It pretty early to be dissatisfied with the O's off season when Dan is the the VP of Baseball Operations.

You seem convinced. Many were convinced this team was heading in a horrible direction last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before.

Last year there were a few very vocal posters who were upset about Cruz, while I think this year there is a broader consensus that the team is not in a position to contend right now. I for one was still bullish last year, but don't like what I see this year. I am not I don't think it is just a matter of certain posters who are never going to be satisfied or optimistic.

Archived