Nice start by Olson

Sports Guy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see. You think he has a chance of coming up this year?

If he doesn't then he better worry because he has alot of hungry prospect behind him. Eager to take his spot. He got nowhere to go but to the Majors. If he doesn't make then I would have to believe he will be dealt, only because of all the pitching prospects we have.

Nice to see...thanks for posting SG. Do you think he has a chance of coming up this year?

Yea, i agree with the post above..If he doesn't, he is in deep trouble.

That would mean he has either been passed over, hurt or struggling big time(unless of course he is traded).

I expect him up here soon enough.

If he doesn't then he better worry because he has alot of hungry prospect behind him. Eager to take his spot. He got nowhere to go but to the Majors. If he doesn't make then I would have to believe he will be dealt, only because of all the pitching prospects we have.
Yea, i agree with the post above..If he doesn't, he is in deep trouble.

That would mean he has either been passed over, hurt or struggling big time(unless of course he is traded).

I expect him up here soon enough.

Thanks for the info guys.

This outing was a much better indicator of what he should be doing all of the time. I have a feeling he lost his control completely in his first outing, but he seemed to be dialed in with today's outing. As if Olson's outing wasn't impressive enough, the Norfolk lineup seemed to hit the ball well.

I kind of wonder what's going on with him. He's always posted such great numbers in the minor leagues, and his numbers have always been accompanied with excellent K/BB rates. And you can tell he has the stuff to at least be an average ML starter. It just baffles me that he would be so ineffective against ML hitting if he's doing that well against hitters that are only a little bit worse.

I kind of wonder what's going on with him. He's always posted such great numbers in the minor leagues, and his numbers have always been accompanied with excellent K/BB rates. And you can tell he has the stuff to at least be an average ML starter. It just baffles me that he would be so ineffective against ML hitting if he's doing that well against hitters that are only a little bit worse.

For whatever reason he clearly wasn't himself pitching up here. His stuff is solid but not good enough to get away with walking 28 in 32 innings. His minor league track record says he's a different pitcher than the one we saw up here so it's nothing I don't think a little more experience can work out.

Excuse me? :)

I think Olson is rounding into form now. He had 6 BBs in his first start for Norfolk, but none this time out. I think he knows what he needs to do and will be more ready to pitch in the majors the next time he is called up.

His line so far: 10 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 11 K's, 0.90 ERA. The vast majority of his outs so far have come via K's and ground balls (2.17 GO/AO ratio). If he maintains the command he showed yesterday he'll be ready for a call-up whenever he's needed.

If he maintains the command he showed yesterday he'll be ready for a call-up whenever he's needed.

For lack of a better way of putting it, I think he just got screwed up last year when he was called up. I don't know if it was mental, something Mazzone was telling him, fatigue, or what, but I don't believe that was the real Olson. I think that indicates what happens when people are pitching above their level. He just wasn't ready for the MLs at that time.

That being said, I expect Olson, Liz, Arietta, Bascom, Spoone, Tillman and hopefully even Erbe to all become very comfortable with their level; and I expect starts like this one to become the norm this year.

We will have the best MiL pitching in the league by far by the end of this year. Hitting? That's another story.

Archived