Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

Man, Gausman's post game comments are night and day different than Mike Wright. When Wright does poorly, he'll blame his own defense or throw shade on some of the best hitters in the game. When Gausman does poorly?

“I think just falling apart, not being able to throw my secondary pitches for strikes,” Gausman said. “They came out looking for a fastball and I thought today was one of the best command days I’ve had with my fastball, but when you have to rely on that you’re just kind of putting yourself in bad situations.”

Pointing out his command was good of his fastball, but guys just sitting on it because he isn't throwing his secondary pitches well.

“It’s frustrating,” Gausman said. “I’m kind of in a little funk right now. Feel like I’m throwing the ball well, but a couple pitches here and there. Make quality pitches, hang a breaking ball when you can’t do that.

“Hanley Ramirez is a pretty good hitter. He put a good swing on it. It’s very frustrating. But I try to go back to the drawing board and take a couple good things from it. Good fastball command, but other than that, I just wasn’t very good today.

Tipping the cap to Hanley at the same time pointing out he hung one.

“Especially with after the way (Chris) Tillman pitched last night, I was really excited. Wanted to be the stopper again today. Didn’t do it. In a game where, against a team that’s really good, and obviously a series that means a lot right now, I wanted to come out and kind of hit the ground running and pitch well and I just didn’t do that.”

Love Gausman's attitude. Night and day different than Wright's.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pointing out his command was good of his fastball, but guys just sitting on it because he isn't throwing his secondary pitches well.

He's totally right on that. In the first two innings, you could tell his fastball was on. But then the Red Sox realized that he was having trouble getting anything else over effectively. That bouncer that could have been a double play if he fielded it cleanly or just let it go was huge, but he definitely did not have it tonight. When they started sitting on the fastball and he hung a few sliders, it was going to be a short night.

I suspect that he just had a bad game ....... combine that with the fact that the Red Sox are a stubborn offense in the first place (even when a pitcher is on his game), and you get what you got tonight.

Also, he missed a potential DP ball and/or easy out at home plate in the 3rd inning because he failed to field the ball cleanly when it came to him. That could have made the 3rd inning considerably less disastrous than it was if he had fielded it cleanly.

No matter, though. Even if he had made that play in the 3rd inning, he didn't seem to have his best stuff tonight. On to the next game for the Orioles, and on to his next start for Gausman.

I also suspect that it was just one of those days. He should be OK next game that he starts.

Not ready to send him to the bullpen quite yet. :D

I think I'm more concerned: The complete reliance on the fastball really does make one wonder about the progress he's made.

But, on the plus side, just like in the Toronto and Yankee games last week we were down early in (7-1 and 7-0, ultimately losing 10-9 and 8-6 respectively), the O's made a great comeback effort. The offense is very resilient. If the pitching rotation could just go to the next level, we should be contending for a post-season spot.

Maybe if he learns how to pitch and develops a decent 3rd pitch, he'll earn his pay in the rotation.

We've been hearing this since he was drafted. I really don't know if he'll ever throw a decent breaking ball on a consistent basis.

Man, Gausman's post game comments are night and day different than Mike Wright. When Wright does poorly, he'll blame his own defense or throw shade on some of the best hitters in the game. When Gausman does poorly?

It'll be "fun" to compare him to EdRod tonight - command, secondaries, poise.

I really dislike Wright and have no interest in him being an Oriole for that reason.

Understandable, but that kind of attitude isn't indicative of being unsuccessful at this level. Clemens was pretty famous for never putting the blame on himself.

I really dislike Wright and have no interest in him being an Oriole for that reason.

I don't have a huge problem with him, other than the fact that he's not that good a pitcher. He has said a few things that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but basically, I just want him to pitch better.

I don't have a huge problem with him, other than the fact that he's not that good a pitcher. He has said a few things that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but basically, I just want him to pitch better.

And while it's great to graciously accept failure with responsibility, the same can be said about Gausman.

Wright is wrapped a little too tight. If he can grow up, and mature a little bit, he's got the talent to be a stud. He's another guy they should exercise patience with. He's got ML options, so if he pitches poorly, they can ship him down.

Gausman will be fine, IMO. Just let him keep pitching.

He sounds like he is putting too much pressure on himself as Buck seemed to convey after the game that he was too keyed up and over throwing at the expense of command. Buck differed with Gausman in that he said his fastball command was inconsistent as he left too many in the middle of the plate.

Gausman needs to go at least 6 and keep the rotation steady.

We definitely need that. We'll see what happens. KG has had awful run support and should have a winning record right now. Not that starter wins matter much. But he has pitched much better than his record this year. He'll be ok.

We definitely need that. We'll see what happens. KG has had awful run support and should have a winning record right now. Not that starter wins matter much. But he has pitched much better than his record this year. He'll be ok.

At home that may be so but he isn't good on the road so even though he is overdue for a decent road start and needs a bounce back from his last terrible start also on the road, I don't share your optimism. I just hope he can go 5 without giving up 5 runs.

At home that may be so but he isn't good on the road so even though he is overdue for a decent road start and needs a bounce back from his last terrible start also on the road, I don't share your optimism. I just hope he can go 5 without giving up 5 runs.

Home/Road, I really don't think it means much. It's another game, pitch or die.

Archived