What will the issues be in the new CBA (current agreement expires on 12/1)?

Frobby

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should remove the loss of a pick. You make a QO, the player has an option to accept or reject, then the team gets a Comp pick if they sign elsewhere, but the signing team does not forfeit a pick.

1) Maintaining the QO allows the league to identify the players that should receive compensation.

2) The high one year salary prevents teams from offering it to too many players.

3) The market for those players is no longer depreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This punishes teams that don't have QO players or don't sign QO players. For example, this offseason, you would add about 15 picks, pushing the 2nd round back by almost half a round. The majority of teams losing draft picks are ones in the 1st round or QO round, thus keeping the 2nd round earlier.

It's a collective "bargaining" agreement. The question is "what are the players willing to give up to make it happen?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. And it would be quite a bit. They would not like it. Maybe trading away rights for no union members.

The other ones in the states have a salary cap.

I think I remember the NFL at one point in time had some form of compensation.

But I don't follow the NFL much.

In soccer, with a few minor exceptions like the good ol' USA, when your contract is up you're good to go anywhere on a free transfer. And there's not even any of this "we get you for six years no matter what" stuff. You and the team get to negotiate your contract.

In soccer, with a few minor exceptions like the good ol' USA, when your contract is up you're good to go anywhere on a free transfer. And there's not even any of this "we get you for six years no matter what" stuff. You and the team get to negotiate your contract.

Is there any other sport that requires an apprenticeship like Baseball does?

ENOUGH ABOUT THE SOCCER!!!!!!!!!!!

article-2061103-0EA4F5EF00000578-784_468x316.jpg

Do any other major sports leagues have free agent compensation?

The NFL does. When you lose a guy, you get compensation in the draft. It's usually extra picks tacked on in the middle rounds I don't know exactly how they calculate it. Teams do not lose picks for signing FAs.

The other ones in the states have a salary cap.

I think I remember the NFL at one point in time had some form of compensation.

But I don't follow the NFL much.

NFL has free agent compensation for teams that have a net loss of free agents. It is in the next year's draft and is at least partially based on what the free agents do their first year in terms of playing time thresholds I believe

If you lose more FAs than you sign, essentially, you get comp picks in the middle of the draft, after 3rd/4th/5th/6th rounds, I believe. (Draft is 7 rounds long).

Teams with a net gain in FAs do not forfeit any picks however.

NFL rosters are much bigger and every team signs at least a few FAs each off season, and each team loses some

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Archived