Let's Have Some Fury

Eddie_Ripken

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike Gonzalez

Mike DeJean

I actually liked Gonzalez and felt bad for him. And his numbers weren't atrocious' date=' but he epicly failed as a closer. One of Andy's worst signings by far, but hard to fault after his Gonzalez's sterling 2009 season.[/quote']

I took it as players who you hate, not in a personality sense but in watching them play.

DeJean:

-37 games for the Orioles in 2004.

-6.13 ERA

-1.941 WHIP

-6.4 BB/9

-11.1 H/9

Hilariously bad. DeJean somewhat shocking still had a 4.46 FIP in that stint due to a solid 8.17 K/9. Still horrific, but not in the same world as 2007 Danys Baez:

-53 G / 50.1 IP

-6.44 ERA

-6.30 FIP

-5.19 K/9

-5.19 BB/9 (yes, an exactly 1.00 K/BB)

-1.43 HR/9

Good for a -0.9 fWAR, for a reliever, which is about as bad as you can possibly get. Hard to imagine being so bad and still throw enough IP to accumulate that much negative value. Only way that happens is if you're in the first year of an absolute anchor of a contract...

Tommy was on the mound when the O's clinched in '14. That alone keeps him off this list, period.

Williamson was a nice piece of the '89 team. Had some bad years but I have mostly fond memories of him.

I would go with Benitez, Ponson, and Davis, for reasons of both personality and performance.

Very close but just wasn't on the O's long enough for me to really despise him was Jose Mesa. Stunk for us (13-24, 5.41), but went on to become a decent pitcher for CLE, even beating us in the 1997 ALCS.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any Matusz mentions yet.

Nobody on the current team is on my list, but Matusz and Bundy both have potential to make it.

Steve Kline - he was a horrible pitcher, acted like a jerk and criticized his teammates.

Doug Jones - I just remember him blowing save after save. He basically threw junk.

Brian Matusz - I'm not sure but he may have the worst season ever for a starting pitcher after showing promise in his rookie year and being a high draft pick. So disappointing.

I don't know how anyone could hate Hunter for that matter. He wasn't a shutdown arm but he was pretty reliable and I thought he always had a good sense of humor and was someone who would be a fun teammate to have. I liked Luke Scott and I really don't want to make this political so I'll just keep it simple, I didn't like him politicizing his views. He's free to express them of course but people are feel to free that he came off ignorant too. I still did like shouting LUUUUUUUUUUUKE though.

I don't know how anyone could hate Hunter for that matter. He wasn't a shutdown arm but he was pretty reliable and I thought he always had a good sense of humor and was someone who would be a fun teammate to have. I liked Luke Scott and I really don't want to make this political so I'll just keep it simple, I didn't like him politicizing his views. He's free to express them of course but people are feel to free that he came off ignorant too. I still did like shouting LUUUUUUUUUUUKE though.

I couldn't stand Luke both for his obnoxious spouting of political views and for the fact that he lifted weights to such an extreme that he got injured all the time

I couldn't stand Luke both for his obnoxious spouting of political views and for the fact that he lifted weights to such an extreme that he got injured all the time

Never knew that about the weights. But yeah glad I am not the only one who felt he came off obnoxious in that. As I said, he was free to express how he did but people like you and I were free also to think less of him because of it. There really aren't too many Orioles I would say I outright disliked since I usually save that for people who are genuinely bad people or people whose effort I question. I do admit to being very frustrated with Brian Roberts when he gave himself that concussion but at the same time Brian was someone I appreciated too.

I don't hate Ryan Flaherty but seeing him in the lineup and playing first base for us makes me cringe!

Garret Atkins was soooo bad. There are a ton of players during a recent 15-year span that I have chosen to forget though.

Another guy who was solid but I just didn't like was Jamie Walker.

Steve Kline - he was a horrible pitcher, acted like a jerk and criticized his teammates.

Doug Jones - I just remember him blowing save after save. He basically threw junk.

Brian Matusz - I'm not sure but he may have the worst season ever for a starting pitcher after showing promise in his rookie year and being a high draft pick. So disappointing.

I remember a game when Doug Jones blew a huge lead. The manager (forget who he was) finally took him out. He left amidst a rain of boos. He shook his fingers at the fans as he left.

I hated Albert Belle. Couldn't stand him. One virtue, though. He turned me into a ravin' Ravens fan. Not like the Ravens are exactly angels, but.... :D

I'm curious about that. Understand Belle but what about Belle and the Ravens? I actually remember being pretty excited when we got him even though he was a well documented jerk because I remembered the 50 home runs and 50 doubles he put up a few years before with Cleveland.

Archived