Let's Have Some Fury

Eddie_Ripken

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple things..."Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be relievers" because there are a disproportionate number of them on this list." And, I can add one. I feel bad because he has passed away, but Terry Mathews was a guy I hated seeing enter a game. Didn't hate the man.

Second...I think of Wiggins as the most haunted Oriole - I didn't hate him. I heard stories then from photogs and employees...sad. I understand the frustration he caused - hidden ball trick - c'mon.

Lastly, I have no idea what he was like as a man, but I kind of liked Belle's desire to hit the snot out of the baseball.

I don't get the hate for Belle. Didn't produce big numbers while he was here but he played hurt throughout. I don't mind having someone that mean and intense on our team.

Doug Drabek was someone that I couldn't stand. I know he was a fine pitcher for a few years for the Pirates but by the time he got here he was at the end of his line and just terrible to watch.

Lew Ford

The most evil player who ever lived. Makes Ty Cobb look like a saint. Lew Ford killed puppies and ate babies. He was also responsible for bringing the black plague (yes he is an evil that has lived for 1000's of years) into existence. He's the most horrible person who has ever lived! If he should ever cross your path.... God help you!

I'm curious about that. Understand Belle but what about Belle and the Ravens? I actually remember being pretty excited when we got him even though he was a well documented jerk because I remembered the 50 home runs and 50 doubles he put up a few years before with Cleveland.
Just a personal thing. I hated him as a person. He was the last straw that made me go into Orioles Fan Exile. While in Exile from the Orioles, I became a ravin' Ravens' fan.

I don't get the hate for Belle. Didn't produce big numbers while he was here but he played hurt throughout. I don't mind having someone that mean and intense on our team.

Doug Drabek was someone that I couldn't stand. I know he was a fine pitcher for a few years for the Pirates but by the time he got here he was at the end of his line and just terrible to watch.

Mean Albert played two seasons for the O's and led them in home runs (37, 23) and RBI's (117, 103) in both, with OPS+'s of 143 and 109. And, as you mentioned, he played while seriously hurt. The next spring training, despite being barely able to hobble to first on his deteriorating hip, he was so determined to keep playing that he had to be almost ordered off the field.

I have to go with Albert Belle. He'd job after balls in the field and turn singles into extra base hits. Terry Matthews was pretty horrible too.

Belle was hobbled by a deteriorating hip; he didn't lack skill or effort.

There's really no Oriole player I've despised, but I have disliked some managers and front office guys, like the pathetic Perlozzo/Malzone duo and Ray Miller (as a constantly whining manager, although he was a very good pitching coach).

Mean Albert played two seasons for the O's and led them in home runs (37, 23) and RBI's (117, 103) in both, with OPS+'s of 143 and 109. And, as you mentioned, he played while seriously hurt. The next spring training, despite being barely able to hobble to first on his deteriorating hip, he was so determined to keep playing that he had to be almost ordered off the field.

Agreed. And, again, I loved when he got grazed by a pitch, pretended he didn't, and basically had to be ordered to first. He wanted to hit the ball badly.

Agreed. And, again, I loved when he got grazed by a pitch, pretended he didn't, and basically had to be ordered to first. He wanted to hit the ball badly.

I remember that game. He had already hit 3 HRs in the game and got hit and refused to go to first base until his team mates and coaches insisted.

I've kinda mellowed on Matusz because he's actually been a very good reliever, but this opens some old wounds. He was such an outstanding prospect, and his rookie year was so good, followed up by one of the most spectacularly bad partial seasons of all time, despite no apparent serious injuries. His career arc is relatively unprecedented (or at least exceptionally rare). He deserves to be on this list.

2010 (Age 23):

32 GS / 175.2 IP

4.30 ERA

4.05 FIP

3.0 fWAR

0.97 HR/9

2011 (Age 24)

12 GS / 49.2 IP

10.00 ERA

7.66 FIP

-1.1 fWAR

3.26 HR/9 (!!!!!)

tttp. Buck decided that time to the plate trumped performance. Matusz' results suffered and he never recovered. Jake's results suffered and he never recovered until he left the organization. Fortunately, we have a $16M Matt Wieters to show for tttp.

To add to, or steal (haha) Millertime's idea of naming your all time favorite O's let's name the players you despised through history. Again, name as many or as few as you want.

Mine:

1. Mark Williamson

I swear the dude blew every game he ever came into. LOL

2. Glenn Davis

For obvious reasons but also I saw him totally blow off every fan waiting for autographs one time. Not saying all players need to sign all the time but this was behind OPACY the year it opened. Other players were signing

and he walked right past and tried to ignore everyone. Needless to say as he was walking away he got lambasted from some folks.

That's all I can think of right now.

No thanks. No reason to bash on former players. IMO

Archived