Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

If, every other year, you can pick a Nelson Cruz off the scrap heap exactly how valuable are they?

Yep, a salary dump in the winter to multi year extension before playing even two months of the new season. Perfect sense.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put yourself in Trumbo's shoes. What would it take for you to sign an extension with Baltimore. What is the absolute lowest you would take?

I think he will be looking at a Nelson contract at a minimum. He could end up being the premium bat in this year's FA class after Yoenis Cespedes (who made a great move in getting that one year opt out from the Mets).

I said this same thing last week Roy, and heard the same rebuttals.

Hot starter, it has only been 6 weeks, buying high....blah, blah blah

What it comes down to is the following:

He has never had hitters around him like this.

He has a great team atmosphere and fits in.

He is hitting half of his games in a great park for him.

By the way, the balls fly out even better in July and August.

Think what you want, but having a bat like his in the lineup has taken so much pressure off of other guys. We still won with Jones suffering(heating up) and Alverez the same.

I like Trumbo and so far I am loving how wrong I was about him. Having said that, I think you gotta let this ride out for a bit. He's had a nice start to the season but you have to consider that you don't generally sign guys like Trumbo when they are playing as well as him. He will revert to career averages likely.

I think Steve Clevenger for him was a steal and add the idea that we might get a draft pick as well as a potential career year from him we really made Seattle look dumb on this trade.

Nelson Cruz has had 4 seasons more valuable than any season Trumbo has had in his career. Mark Trumbo has had a start like this before, in 2012. He went back to being Mark Trumbo, who is a guy who has only been an average MLB player twice and is 30.

It's May.

I guess we also should have locked in Dexter Fowler for like 100 million too?

I predicted before the season started that Trumbo would have better power numbers than Chris Davis at the end of the season. I still think this will happen and I think Davis will have good numbers as well. My prediction was based on seeing him hit the ball well here when he was with the Angels and knowing he never had hitters with similar power hitting in front of him and behind him in the lineup with the Angels, Arizona or Seattle. The other part of it was his ability to hit to all fields. When I heard what we gave up to get him I thought DD must have pictures of the Seattle GM. What? Who else is in the deal? The reporters must have missed another name being part of the deal. Wright? D Alvarez? Walker? No! None of them. What a steal. I would also try to sign him and you might be surprised what kind of deal he might accept. 3 years for $42 million? Similar to what we are paying AJ.

Trumbo has been absolutely amazing so far. I'd love to have a bat like that in the lineup for the next few years. But to sign him now would probably be a mistake. It's very early in the season. If he finishes with solid numbers, and Mancini/Walker perform well, I think you give Trumbo a QO and take the pick. If he cools off and returns to career norms, then maybe you just offer a reasonable, short contract and be thankful for not prematurely extending him.

We're going to need the money for Manny soon enough and I think one of Mancini/Walker will be ready to step up next year.

If the budget is growing, then forget what I said and lock Trumbomb up for the next two years!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I said this same thing last week Roy, and heard the same rebuttals.

Hot starter, it has only been 6 weeks, buying high....blah, blah blah

What it comes down to is the following:

He has never had hitters around him like this.

He has a great team atmosphere and fits in.

He is hitting half of his games in a great park for him.

By the way, the balls fly out even better in July and August.

Think what you want, but having a bat like his in the lineup has taken so much pressure off of other guys. We still won with Jones suffering(heating up) and Alverez the same.

So he didn't play with Trout Pujols and Hamilton in 2013?

I like Trumbo and so far I am loving how wrong I was about him. Having said that, I think you gotta let this ride out for a bit. He's had a nice start to the season but you have to consider that you don't generally sign guys like Trumbo when they are playing as well as him. He will revert to career averages likely.

I think Steve Clevenger for him was a steal and add the idea that we might get a draft pick as well as a potential career year from him we really made Seattle look dumb on this trade.

There were some around here that did not want to tender him a contract. I'm happy with what the Orioles got for 9 million.

We have to remember that Trumbo was as I read a overpaid DH and a salary dump who just happened to fall in our laps. We really got lucky on this one because he is a

solid hitter who is just extra hot right now. I know that the Mariners were just trying to dump this guy on anyone that would take him just looking at the return that they

got for him. This was not that long ago and Trumbo knows this so I am wondering if maybe 2 years 27 mil or maybe 3 for 36 might get him to stay. Now I know if he

hits 40 homers and drives in 120 these numbers are way out the door, I just think he could have ended up on any bad team but he ended up with us which has been good

for everyone so far. GO O"S!

Archived