Tillman, Gausman, Wright, and Wilson ALL developed by Orioles

accinfo

Tillman was traded for but he was developed by the Orioles. Now 4 out of the 5 starters in the rotation are home grown. Lets see if they are incapable of developing starting pitching. I think at least 3 of the 4 will do pretty well.

Tillman was traded for but he was developed by the Orioles. Now 4 out of the 5 starters in the rotation are home grown. Lets see if they are incapable of developing starting pitching. I think at least 3 of the 4 will do pretty well.

3 out of 5. Gallardo and Ubaldo are fixtures in the rotation. As is Tillman. Gausman, Wright and Wilson form the other two slots, as health and effectiveness dictate.

It's a good sign regardless. We need the latter 3 to perform well, no matter if they are starter or reliever. Simply can't continue to bring in washed up free agent starters who have lost their fastball.

I think Wright will be a good bullpen piece.

I think Wilson will be a decent sort of Brian Burres-ish performer but he doesn't strike me as being a whole lot more than a warmer-than-average body.

Gausman they've gotta stop jerking around.

Tillman is pretty OK.

Gausman is an MLB starter. From now on. Unless he is injured or fails. In a Brian Matusz kind of apocalyptic way.

I wish they could have developed some offspeed pitches for Wilson and Wright. Both of them have good enough fastballs to be starters but their lack of quality offspeed pitches really holds them back. And Tillman and Gausman already had dynamite offspeed offerings before we got our hands on them.

If this is our starting rotation the rest of the year we may lead baseball in SP fastball % and come in last in SP K%.

The Orioles have done an excellent job developing relievers from Jim Johnson to Pedro Strop to Zach Britton to Brad Brach to Mychal Givens and the list goes on and on. But it's much harder to develop starting pitchers and that's where they've failed miserably over the years.

I wish they could have developed some offspeed pitches for Wilson and Wright. Both of them have good enough fastballs to be starters but their lack of quality offspeed pitches really holds them back. And Tillman and Gausman already had dynamite offspeed offerings before we got our hands on them.

If this is our starting rotation the rest of the year we may lead baseball in SP fastball % and come in last in SP K%.

Wilson's FB is average at best.

Wright and Wilson are completely different types of pitchers.

The Orioles have done an excellent job developing relievers from Jim Johnson to Pedro Strop to Zach Britton to Brad Brach to Mychal Givens and the list goes on and on. But it's much harder to develop starting pitchers and that's where they've failed miserably over the years.

And all of them (besides Givens) came up through the system SP's, who for whatever reason never could learn enough pitches.

And all of them (besides Givens) came up through the system SP's, who for whatever reason never could learn enough pitches.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=strop-001ped

Strop has 0 GS for his career, major and minor leagues.

For Gausman, Wright and Wilson the development is still a work in progress.

Yes, but that's not a bad thing:

1) they're here and having some success

2) they're young

I couldn't be happier seeing this because I'm so tired of the "experts" that rank the birds near the bottom of prospect rankings. Yes, it is too early to call this a success, which was your point. BUT there is every reason to be ecstatic with a stat like this! This rotation is not like the Mets, nor the Cubs, but it's no slouch. I'm happy to see the guys who earned a spot are starting, and it's a very good trend.

2) they're young

I couldn't be happier seeing this because I'm so tired of the "experts" that rank the birds near the bottom of prospect rankings. Yes, it is too early to call this a success, which was your point. BUT there is every reason to be ecstatic with a stat like this! This rotation is not like the Mets, nor the Cubs, but it's no slouch. I'm happy to see the guys who earned a spot are starting, and it's a very good trend.

Who else would start though? At some point you're out of money and don't have much in the farm. Are they starting because "Who else?", or is their starting indicative of how good they are?

2) they're young

It will be interesting to see how Gausman, Wright and Wilson do over the remaining 146 games. I don't know if I'd say I'm excited; it's more like curious. The guy I find myself rooting for is Wilson. I've always liked the brainy, determined guys who don't blow anyone away but seem to know how to hang in a game.

Archived