Wow, Kim is untouchable

cm1290

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just play the hot hand until it's cold. Most likely David Newhan all over again.

Now that is a name that I had forgotten about. I do believe the track record of Kim is a bit better than Newhan but the COMP is deserved until proven different.

Yeah but he's pulling in Matusz money! We have to get rid of that contract! It's Ubaldo terrible!

:rolleyes:

Some posters on this forum are so brainwashed by Buck that they take everything he says and does as gospel. They probably believe he had nothing to do with the failures of Jake Arrieta in Baltimore as well.

I give him credit for HR today but in all probability I would be crowned King of England before he is ROY. I would still try like hell to move his contract (not to mention UJ) for COF and SP help. This is a very shaky team right now.

The pool of people eligible for ROY is less than 26 as of today. The original question merely posits that Kim get consideration. Even if we draw a line and say consideration means top 10, Kim has somewhere loosely better than 1 and 3 chance of getting that consideration. As do Wright Wilson and Bundy.

Methinks the odds of you being crowned the King of England are considerably longer.

But I get your point.

How many PA would he need to qualify?

From MLB site:

Determining rookie status:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

According to Wiki. To win the Award, 130 PA are needed.

From MLB site:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

With about 50 as of now then he certainly has a shot. He is closer to the Korean Ichiro than the O's Newhan IMO.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Kim get's ROY consideration?

In 47 ABs so far, .383/.463./.511/.974

If he becomes a regular and continues to hit well he could get some votes. It's not an great year for rookies in the AL so far.

He's got some ground to make up on Nomar Mazara though (.311 AVG and 8 HR in 42 games for Texas).

I managed to find Kim's exit velocity data, and to be honest it is extremely encouraging.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/h_landing.php?player=547957

He has basically shown no problem hitting fastballs with authority, and he can hold his own on breaking balls, while being very good at recognizing offspeed stuff and making contact.

His BABIP might be a tad high, but so is his exit velocity.

From MLB site:

That's maximums in prior years to still be eligible. There's no minimum playing time qualification.

Willie McCovey was the '59 ROY with 219 PAs (.354/.429/.656).

I managed to find Kim's exit velocity data, and to be honest it is extremely encouraging.

He has basically shown no problem hitting fastballs with authority, and he can hold his own on breaking balls, while being very good at recognizing offspeed stuff and making contact.

Makes me feel a lot better about being in the Kim camp this spring. :)

Yeah he looked terrible early on, but he's making the necessary adjustments to major league pitching.

And that homer he hit was crushed. Wow, was that great to see - and not just because it was the winning run. He and Reimold should both be playing regularly.

The more I see of him, the more optimistic I am. I love his selectivity. He has a .463 OBP at the bottom of the order with teams having every incentive to pitch to him. If teams start to pitch him carefully, he will adjust. Ichiro was a hacker who put the ball in play and relied on speed to get on base. Kim is a professional hitter, extremely selective, and makes hard contact when he gets his pitch. Actually reminds me more of Markakis than Ichiro.

And that homer he hit was crushed. Wow, was that great to see - and not just because it was the winning run. He and Reimold should both be playing regularly.

Right now that's the best setup, with Trumbo at DH. The Alvarez signing felt like a reaction to the Dexter Fowler mess-up and while he does provide a very good LH pinch-hit role, I can't imagine he's very happy about it. I wonder if Duquette attempts to trade him.

Archived