PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

Maybe they should look at all banned substances that do have a widespread therapeutic value and figure out a different punishment for first time offenders. This would be consistent with the policy used for ADD medications.

Good suggestion. Again, not opposed to this approach either. My overarching point was never that the current system is perfect. I want to make that clear. My main contention was really about the discussion itself, specifically that labeling this some travesty, considering that it's a mutually binding, negotiated agreement, impedes the ability to have a reasoned discussion about how it could be improved as it seemingly ignores the logic that serves as the basis for the program in its current form.

Sorry if this comes across as attacking or being overly critical of the discussion, rather than participating in it, but I think it's important as a general point.

Good suggestion. Again, not opposed to this approach either. My overarching point was never that the current system is perfect. I want to make that clear. My main contention was really about the discussion itself, specifically that labeling this some travesty, considering that it's a mutually binding, negotiated agreement, impedes the ability to have a reasoned discussion about how it could be improved as it seemingly ignores the logic that serves as the basis for the program in its current form.

Sorry if this comes across as attacking or being overly critical of the discussion, rather than participating in it, but I think it's important as a general point.

I missed the post that labeled it a travesty. Could you refer me to it.

Yeah, if the players don't like the system as they agreed to it, have them agree to something different. It's that simple.

Yeah, if the players don't like the system as they agreed to it, have them agree to something different. It's that simple.
I'm just curious. What exactly is the language of the agreement as it pertains to Mondisi's situation? How does it allow for the reduction of the penalty.

I'm just curious. What exactly is the language of the agreement as it pertains to Mondisi's situation? How does it allow for the reduction of the penalty.

You'd have to ask someone who is an insider in the union. Or why they accepted any time at all for him.

Don't know the exact language.

I did find this:

The program also will allow for a reduced suspension if it's determined by an arbitration party that a player's positive test was the result of inadvertent use.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/03/28/mlb-toughens-drug-agreement-provisions/7023401/

Looks like MLB and the PU came to an agreement without needing to include an arbiter.

Well how do you know they don't have discretion to wave the penalty?

You that is your final stance on this? That the penalty could have been dropped? By your knowledge of the agreement? MLB might have just been playing nice to Clark since the negotiations are going well.

You that is your final stance on this? That the penalty could have been dropped? By your knowledge of the agreement? MLB might have just been playing nice to Clark since the negotiations are going well.
Your post is completely unintelligible. Perhaps you could try again?