Tommy Milone

Go_Os

He's a guy with an 87 mph fastball who had his best years as a low-K flyball pitcher in the Oakland Coliseum. I'm not seeing how he's an upgrade over what's on hand. Vance Worley has better ERA/FIP/xFIP, K rate, and 2/3rds the HR rate.

But he's a LEFTY.

They're like gold.

Nah, I don't want him either. He's the kind of guy that pitches great against the Orioles and sucks against the rest of the league.

• 1 year later...

Tommy Milone is available again as he elected free agency yesterday:

His numbers over the last two years have been very Orioles-esque, and he was shut down at the end of the year due to a bone spur his elbow; but we need to throw as much against the wall as possible to see if anything sticks for the rotation. 
He's left handed; he'll be 31 at the beginning of the 2018 season; and he had some solid, if unspectacular seasons from 2011/12 to 2015. 

Will he get any major league contract offers? Or will the general consensus be that he's cooked?

Edited by cliff

15 minutes ago, cliff said:

Tommy Milone is available again as he elected free agency yesterday:

His numbers over the last two years have been very Orioles-esque, and he was shut down at the end of the year due to a bone spur his elbow; but we need to throw as much against the wall as possible to see if anything sticks for the rotation. 
He's left handed; he'll be 31 at the beginning of the 2018 season; and he had some solid, if unspectacular seasons from 2011/12 to 2015. 

Will he get any major league contract offers? Or will the general consensus be that he's cooked?

Oh I hope DD doesn't sign this man. He is past cooked.  DD has thrown enough mud against the wall. It's past time that he brings in good pitchers. I know I know he won't or can't do that. As long as he keeps bringing in 3rd tier pitchers this team won't improve. As much as I like Ubaldo I don't won't DD, Angelos and Buck bringing in pitchers like him. Thirty years ago this team had such good pitching. I don't know what happened. But they need to get back to drafting and producing good pitchers. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Oh I hope DD doesn't sign this man. He is past cooked.  DD has thrown enough mud against the wall. It's past time that he brings in good pitchers. I know I know he won't or can't do that. As long as he keeps bringing in 3rd tier pitchers this team won't improve. As much as I like Ubaldo I don't won't DD, Angelos and Buck bringing in pitchers like him. Thirty years ago this team had such good pitching. I don't know what happened. But they need to get back to drafting and producing good pitchers. 

I hear ya; but this isn't a one-or-the-other. They could draft the next Roger Clemens this April, and he's not going to help the 2018 big league rotation.

If you can get a guy like Milone on a minor league deal, and you can get comfortable with the injury,  What's the risk? Why not take a flyer on the chance he can bounce back and be a #5 with a 4.50 ERA? Heck, he'd be our #2-3 if he could do that!  If he sucks, you release him. 

From his standpoint, we would represent one of his better opportunities to get some major league starts...assuming no one wants to give him a major league deal this off-season; and pending any major rotation upgrades (holding my breath :$).

1 hour ago, cliff said:

I hear ya; but this isn't a one-or-the-other. They could draft the next Roger Clemens this April, and he's not going to help the 2018 big league rotation.

If you can get a guy like Milone on a minor league deal, and you can get comfortable with the injury,  What's the risk? Why not take a flyer on the chance he can bounce back and be a #5 with a 4.50 ERA? Heck, he'd be our #2-3 if he could do that!  If he sucks, you release him. 

From his standpoint, we would represent one of his better opportunities to get some major league starts...assuming no one wants to give him a major league deal this off-season; and pending any major rotation upgrades (holding my breath :$).

Bounce back to what? Stinking? I hear ya, but you're really grasping for straws with this one. 

4 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I'd rather see them bring back Miley. And that's awful. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:14 PM, Go_Os said:

Tommy Milone (left handed pitcher !!) was just released by the Twins. He has a career 3.98 ERA and 1.30 WHIP, so he's someone that I'd like to see the O's claim. There is a good chance another team will claim him first, but hopefully not.

http://www.rotoworld.com/stats/mlb/6606/tommy-milone

o

(4 YEARS LATER)

This turned out to be quite prophetic, albeit numerous years after the fact.

Ahhhh, the 2016 89-win playoff Orioles team seems like such a long time ago.

o