vs. MARINERS, 5/18

Sessh

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Most supposedly obvious mistakes are not really. They're choices based on a bunch of different information, including things fans don't generally know like who's available today, who's nursing a whatever that makes him semi-unavailable, who spent the night on the can after bad crab cake... Hyde has to manage the clubhouse and personalities, and getting the bench guys some kind of playing time, and getting through 162 games, and on and on. 95% of "obvious mistakes" are going to have a plausible reason why they were made that doesn't involve the manager being stupid or spacing out. And every manager has any number of decisions that some subset of fans will decry as an obvious mistake, so the baseline for whatever manager we're talking about isn't zero mistakes, it's the number that a typical MLB manager supposedly makes. I'll give you a big wad of cash if you can find me a fanbase in any sport that thinks their manager is brilliant all the time. The best you're going to get is "eh, at least he hasn't screwed anything up in a week or two."
    • I'm certain that Texas is embarrassed to have the 2023 Wildcard banner right next to the 2023 World Series Champion banner.
    • In terms on banners: 1. World Series 2. American League 3. AL East So, if we don't at least win the AL, winning the division is extremely important. Nobody wants a stupid Wild Card banner. In fact, everyone should find those embarrassing to display.
    • His swing looks a little long.  Probably why he had so many K’s but good power at Norfolk.   I see lots of K’s in the short term but hopefully he runs into a few.  
    • I’ve just been looking at payroll construction for other teams with payrolls higher than the Orioles but not upper tier.  There are 6 teams between $128 - 172 mm that I consider in this comp group.  Those are nos. 11-16 in total payroll.  There’s a fairly big leap to no. 10 ($208 mm) and I doubt that’s realistic for the O’s unless Rubinstein just feels like heavily subsidizing his ballclub, which I doubt.   Anyway, what stands out to me about these six clubs is that none of them have more than two players making in excess of $20 mm this year.  Here’s how they break down: STL ($172 mm): Arenado $35 mm, Goldschmidt $26 mm, 2 between $15-20 mm, 4 between $10-15 mm. BOS ($168 mm): Devers $29.5 mm, Story $22.5 mm, 3 at $15-20 mm. LAA ($151 mm): Rendon $38.6 mm, Trout $37.1 mm, 2 between $10-15 mm. SDP ($145 mm): Bogaerts $25.5 mm, Musgrove $20 mm, 2 between $15-20 mm, 3 between $10-15 mm.  (Manny’s contract is heavily backloaded.) AZD ($143 mm): Montgomery $25 mm, 6 between $10-15 mm. COL($128 mm): Bryant $28 mm, 5 between $10–15 mm. So when you think about 2029,  it would be very difficult to pay all four of Burnes, Adley, Gunnar and Bradish at FA prices.   At that point you’ve also potentially got Grayson, Westburg and Cowser in Arb 3, and maybe Holliday, Kjerstad and Mayo in Arb 1 or 2.    Bottom line, we won’t be able to sign all these guys long term, and choices will have to be made.  Starting with Burnes this winter.   I wonder how he’d feel about a front loaded deal with opt outs.   
    • https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/yennier-cano-in-play-out-s-to-vladimir-guerrero-jr-js6cw3?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share   This was a great play! 1.085 OPS over the past 28 days for Ramon.
    • I think that over the long term there is absolutely a better chance of winning if you get to skip the first round of playoffs. It's simple probability. If you have a 60% chance at winning any given post-season series, you have a .6^3 = 22% chance of winning three straight series, and a 13% chance of winning four straight series. Of course in any single post-season or series there's a reasonable chance that the wildcard wins and the division winner loses. But over 10, 20, 30 years you will almost certainly see an advantage from skipping the wildcard series. It's like asking if you'd rather be a .320 hitter or a .270 hitter? Obviously .320, even though next week the .270 hitter might get more hits.
  • Popular Contributors