Is the "mortgaging the future" argument valid and/or fair?

SamsHorn

It seems to me that with every trade the Orioles have made since DD arrival, a certain contingent among us have cried that we have mortgaged the team's future. At what point does this argument start lacking validity as it comes to a general overview of DD and the moves he has made? We've been competitive every year since his arrival, no? What constitutes "the future" in this argument/narrative?

Also, at what point does the whole "DD is working with the team MacPhail put together" narrative also fail?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the objective observer, the argument will become valid when the current strategy actually produces the doom that the doomsayers prophesy.

For the doomsayers... it will be every time the Orioles lose more than 2 games consecutively.

It seems to me that with every trade the Orioles have made since DD arrival, a certain contingent among us have cried that we have mortgaged the team's future. At what point does this argument start lacking validity as it comes to a general overview of DD and the moves he has made? We've been competitive every year since his arrival, no? What constitutes "the future" in this argument/narrative?

Also, at what point does the whole "DD is working with the team MacPhail put together" narrative also fail?

I view "the future" as starting when Dan and Buck's contracts expire.

BTW, do you expect a change in ownership? Because the Andy MacPhail poison well in Dominica is somewhere the Angelos family is not likely to fish. No matter if you become GM.

I'll enjoy the winning until they do.

I hope Buck is brought back, unless he decides to retire into the sunset.

I know popular opinion is DD is long gone, but, I am not sold on that.

Replacing DD, even with Brady, doesn't guarantee that person will be better. IMO.

BTW, do you expect a change in ownership? Because the Andy MacPhail poison well in Dominica is somewhere the Angelos family is not likely to fish. No matter if you become GM.
The change in Ownership will be from Peter to his sons.

IMO

Exactly.

I am not assuming that the sons will necessarily follow the father in their decisions.

In baseball the difference in payroll philosophies will be very important. More so than in football.

IMO, the same basic principles do apply.

You the owner, hire you good men to run your team, and you let them run the team, coming to you as needed, and not to micromanage in day to day activities.

I would say if they go 7 seasons without a losing season, I can deal with mortgaging the future. How many losing seasons in a row did we have when we weren't mortgaging the future.

Maybe DD has figured out how to win long-term without the regular method of building a team. He hasn't really traded any top prospects since he got here though. I don't see him mortgaging the future anyway. When his contract expires

the only guys that will be on payroll is Chris Davis and O'Day. The new Gm shoud acctually be in a good spot. THe new GM should have plenty of money to re-build the team to his hearts content. He could probably buy a few picks off DD if DD ends up

in an organization with competitive balance picks.

IMO, the same basic principles do apply.

You the owner, hire you good men to run your team, and you let them run the team, coming to you as needed, and not to micromanage in day to day activities.

Sure you can hire good or bad people.

But football spending (on players) is a relatively fixed expense.

In baseball you can see huge shifts in spending.

Archived