Is the "mortgaging the future" argument valid and/or fair?

SamsHorn

We had a lousy farm system when we stunk, and we have a lousy farm system while we're pretty good. I'll enjoy the winning while it lasts. If the Orioles have shown us anything, even with 6 first round picks they can't make the farm any better. They've been consistently bad in this area for ages.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

You are correct about this. Look no farther than the .190 BA of last years first round pick.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno. Prophesying is a pretty inexact science.

I always like this quote' date=' "If you can look into the seeds of time and say which grain will grow and which will not speak then to me."[/quote']

I mean, is is that outlandish?

Britton FA in 2018

Brach FA in 2018

Tillman FA in 2018

Machado FA in 2019

Jones FA in 2019

Duquette FA in 2019

Buck FA in 2019

Those are all fairly significant pieces to the puzzle with little to no depth to replace them.

Britton FA in 2018

Brach FA in 2018

Tillman FA in 2018

Machado FA in 2019

Jones FA in 2019

Duquette FA in 2019

Buck FA in 2019

Those are all fairly significant pieces to the puzzle with little to no depth to replace them.

Everybody thought 2016 most FAs would be lost, they wasn't.

Will they resign everybody, no, but I doubt the future is as bleak as you would like to paint it?

Britton FA in 2018

Brach FA in 2018

Tillman FA in 2018

Machado FA in 2019

Jones FA in 2019

Duquette FA in 2019

Buck FA in 2019

i think they sign Brach. All the rest-they gone. i think Buck wants to be closer to home. DD ,who knows?

Might be good by then or rebuild mode.

We had a lousy farm system when we stunk, and we have a lousy farm system while we're pretty good. I'll enjoy the winning while it lasts. If the Orioles have shown us anything, even with 6 first round picks they can't make the farm any better. They've been consistently bad in this area for ages.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I think that we can produce major league talent is not accurate. Yeah the so called experts say we have had a bad system for years but we keep bringing up guys that fill the role on the team. Even when we were higher up the list the experts said we had one or two top guys but no depth and a week system outside them. Yet somehow we keep adding guys like Wilson, Wright, Givens and some other guys that may be close in Mancini, Walker, and Sisco.

The Twins have been in the top 10 each of the last 6 years and in the top 3 two of those years yet are one of the worst teams in baseball.

I think that we can produce major league talent is not accurate. Yeah the so called experts say we have had a bad system for years but we keep bringing up guys that fill the role on the team. Even when we were higher up the list the experts said we had one or two top guys but no depth and a week system outside them. Yet somehow we keep adding guys like Wilson, Wright, Givens and some other guys that may be close in Mancini, Walker, and Sisco.

The Twins have been in the top 10 each of the last 6 years and in the top 3 two of those years yet are one of the worst teams in baseball.

i was talking to a scout and he said the Twins really have trouble developing pitchers. He thinks Walker is a backup at best. Likes Mancini and the Sisco kid.

Britton FA in 2018

Brach FA in 2018

Tillman FA in 2018

Machado FA in 2019

Jones FA in 2019

Duquette FA in 2019

Buck FA in 2019

That looks like a pretty good core for the next 3 years or so. If you had guys controlled to 2021 people would be complaining that they will be overpaid in 2010 and that the contract is too long. You could put that same list up for any team almost and say look we have nothing in 4 or so years. If you can keep a window for 4 years or so that is pretty impressive. Our window looks like almost 7 years and maybe longer if things go your way.

That looks like a pretty good core for the next 3 years or so. If you had guys controlled to 2021 people would be complaining that they will be overpaid in 2010 and that the contract is too long. You could put that same list up for any team almost and say look we have nothing in 4 or so years. If you can keep a window for 4 years or so that is pretty impressive. Our window looks like almost 7 years and maybe longer if things go your way.

7 years only if Harvey,Bundy and Gausman pane out.Also will need some position players.

It's not that "mortgaging" the future is valid or invalid per se. If DD makes a move and it bombs, I can live with that. At some point you should mortgage aspects of the future to win now.

The problem is, at the time these moves were made, did they need to be made? What did we gain from them? People say, "well, the team is winning." But is it winning because we gave up a first rounder for Ubaldo? A first rounder for Gallardo? I don't see any moves that were made for the now that you can say, "we wouldn't have won absent that move." MAYBE Miller against Detroit? What part of that team's success can be attributed to the O's doing absolutely nothing on the international market?

I thought vulgarities were not allowed on this board.
LOL, thats funny! Kudos.

We did have an IT admin who programmed certain words to spawn a catch phrase or commentary when typed. Maybe we could re-institute that.

It's not that "mortgaging" the future is valid or invalid per se. If DD makes a move and it bombs' date=' I can live with that. At some point you should mortgage aspects of the future to win now.

The problem is, at the time these moves were made, did they need to be made? What did we gain from them? People say, "well, the team is winning." But is it winning because we gave up a first rounder for Ubaldo? A first rounder for Gallardo? I don't see any moves that were made for the now that you can say, "we wouldn't have won absent that move." MAYBE Miller against Detroit? What part of that team's success can be attributed to the O's doing absolutely nothing on the international market?[/quote']

Well, the team is winning. And I as a consumer am happy with that. I do not wish to see the sausage made.

Britton FA in 2018

Brach FA in 2018

Tillman FA in 2018

Machado FA in 2019

Jones FA in 2019

Duquette FA in 2019

Buck FA in 2019

Eh to Britton & Brach. Britton was a failed prospect before he all of the sudden became one of the best closers in the league. Brach we picked up for peanuts.

Archived